Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2019

@Lilysmom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ, thanks for the feedback.  I will give The Rooster Bar a chance!

I haven’t read Calico Joe but will check it out.  A change in style is nice.

My complaint is about when authors start to get formulaic (that’s a word, right?🙂) with their books.  The worst for that IMO is James Patterson.  I totally gave up on him with his name in large print and the real author somewhere below in micro print.  Probably missed some good ones but, oh well.  LM

@Lilysmom.  Yes, I know what you mean. I gave up on Patterson awhile ago. Recently went back for a few books but not like before. I gave up on a few other ones also.

I like David Rosenfelt. Have you read him. He’s a dog lover and has his dog and others in his books.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ, I will check Rosenfelt out as well.  I read so much.  I use an ereader and it has made me even worse on book titles.  I was bad before  when I could see the book cover but now I am even worse.  Thanks for the recommendation.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ, I will check Rosenfelt out as well.  I read so much.  I use an ereader and it has made me even worse on book titles.  I was bad before  when I could see the book cover but now I am even worse.  Thanks for the recommendation.  LM

@Lilysmom.  Lol. I know what you mean. Even if I see the book cover I never remember the book name. I have an app Record Books. I have to bring it to the library to see if I have read the book I picked up. Take care and happy reading!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I read The Reckoning by John Grisham.  Not bad, not great.  I had all but given up on him and this one doesn’t really change my view.  The Rooster Bar has been recommended to me.  Anyone like this?  Or not?  

I won’t be reading it too soon.  Need a change of pace.  LM

Hi @Lilysmom -- I started reading The Reckoning recently but I stopped reading it for something that kept me more interested. That's not to say I didn't like it; just that it wasn't keeping me enthralled. 

I did enjoy The Rooster Bar. It was written more like his older books. 

If I don't "fall into" a book on the first few pages, I lose patience with it. I have to feel like I can't wait to get back to the book when I'm doing something else. If I don't get that feeling, I feel like I'm forcing myself to continue. 

Happy reading to you!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

@LoriLori I’ve already started listening to it! Takes longer to listen vs reading given the amount of time I’m actually in the car.  In other words, will be a while until I report back!

A few other interesting books came out today.  I’ve also downloaded Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken and The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

I could never listen to a book, my mind wanders too much.  I pre-ordered this and it just showed up today.  I love the surprise of pre-ordering a book and completely forgetting about it and then here it is!.  Like getting a present except I have to pay for my own present LOL.

The only problem is each great new book that arrives demands to be read so I move it to the top jumping it over my other 20 or 30 TBR books all of which I absolutely had to have.  And I'm a slow reader.  I hope someone won't be reading "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" to me in a nursing home!

@LoriLori - I'm with you!  No matter how I've tried, I can't keep my mind on the words being spoken. When I've tried listening to a book, I've either found fault with the reader's voice or his/her inflections, or my mind just totally tunes it out and I haven't a clue what I was listening to. I prefer to read my books, at my pace. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala, that is exactly how I felt about The Reckoning.  I kept reading but I really sped through the section about his war time period.  I thought the ending was disappointing as well.  I keep hearing good things about The Rooster Bar so I will read that in due course.

i read 200 pages of The Stand.  It just seemed like the same thing over and over.  I have the longer version @ 1000 pages.  I PTB.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Reading Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock. This is a charming book; the author has outdone herself this time. 

A taxi driver becomes involved with an elderly woman, who is trying to play matchmaker for her granddaughter. 

Blackstock has written suspense novels, but she also writes books about life and relationships which are just as good. Catching Christmas is recommended for Blackstock fans, but anyone not familiar with her writing would also do well to start with this one. It's a winner. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@sunala, that is exactly how I felt about The Reckoning.  I kept reading but I really sped through the section about his war time period.  I thought the ending was disappointing as well.  I keep hearing good things about The Rooster Bar so I will read that in due course.

i read 200 pages of The Stand.  It just seemed like the same thing over and over.  I have the longer version @ 1000 pages.  I PTB.  LM

@LilysmomSo sorry that you couldn't finish The Stand. I must admit that I read it years ago right after it first came out and I think back then I had more patience for long, long books. I think now my attention span is much more divided between internet, a million TV channels, streaming etc. Have you ever seen the movie? I think there was a made for TV one made several years back. I still do love Stephen King books and look forward to the new ones. I like the basic conflict between good and evil that he often addresses. However as I am older I do find myself gravitating towards shorter books. I don't know if that's because of a smaller attention span or because there is not as much life left to me as there was years ago so I want to get in as many books as possible in the time that I have allotted to me. Sorry for getting philosophical. lol

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I am reading J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts) latest book, Connections In Death.    Slow start, too predictable, and too much profanity that I have not seen used in her other books.  So far, somewhat of a disappointment, especially for the cost.

@SXMGirl - I hate to agree with you, as I love this series and look forward to the books, but I thought this book was slow in the middle.  The beginning and end were good, but all the different gang members introduced in the middle was confusing.  Oh well, hopefully September's book will be better, Vendetta in Death.

Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu, a long book doesn’t really deter me.  Especially if it is by an author I love.  I agree with your comments about King.  I guess my issue was 200 pages of the same thing over and over (people getting sick).  The movie might be a better solution.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction. 

The horror books don’t do much for me.  I was thinking this might turn into one.  Remember The Shining?  I swear I had nightmares after that movie.

Stephen King is a master storyteller.  I am so glad I found him.  LM