Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2019

Heads-up to fans of Australian mystery writer Jane Harper, who wrote the bestsellers The Dry and Force of Nature, her new book The Lost Man was published today.

Like her others it takes place in the Australian outback but this one is not an Aaron Falk book.  The reviews have been very good.  I love the outback setting and think she's a great writer.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori I’ve already started listening to it! Takes longer to listen vs reading given the amount of time I’m actually in the car.  In other words, will be a while until I report back!

A few other interesting books came out today.  I’ve also downloaded Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken and The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@LoriLori I’ve already started listening to it! Takes longer to listen vs reading given the amount of time I’m actually in the car.  In other words, will be a while until I report back!

A few other interesting books came out today.  I’ve also downloaded Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken and The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

I could never listen to a book, my mind wanders too much.  I pre-ordered this and it just showed up today.  I love the surprise of pre-ordering a book and completely forgetting about it and then here it is!.  Like getting a present except I have to pay for my own present LOL.

The only problem is each great new book that arrives demands to be read so I move it to the top jumping it over my other 20 or 30 TBR books all of which I absolutely had to have.  And I'm a slow reader.  I hope someone won't be reading "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" to me in a nursing home!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

So after finishing my book club book (The Hangman's Daughter) and a tearjerker (Five Feet Apart), I needed a book that was completely different and an easy read. I picked up Look Alive Twenty-Five by Janet Evanovich. I have a love/hate relationship with these books and I am again in a season of hate... I didn't laugh. I didn't smile. I didn't like it. I am super glad that I didn't waste me money on it and waited for to check it out from the library. I think it may be time for the series to conclude or at least get a big shake up.

Now I am reading a political/internation thriller, Star of the North by DB John. It's about the unexplained disappearance of a young woman in South Korea. I have 60 pages in and I am interested in it, but I'm not sure I am liking it. Has anyone else read this one?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori

I read The Dry last year. I must have given it five stars because I received an e-mail today from Goodreads telling me that this new book was released today. 

Super Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Just discovered Lisa Scottoline -- legal mystery. I like her writing and it kept my interest. 

@jeanlake  Me too.  Picked one up at the library and liked it.  I'm on my second Scottoline book and am enjoying it.

Honored Contributor

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

So after finishing my book club book (The Hangman's Daughter) and a tearjerker (Five Feet Apart), I needed a book that was completely different and an easy read. I picked up Look Alive Twenty-Five by Janet Evanovich. I have a love/hate relationship with these books and I am again in a season of hate... I didnt' laugh. I didn't smile. I didn't like it. I am super glad that I didn't waste me money on it and waited for to check it out from the library. I think it may be time for the series to conclude or at least get a big shake up.

I went thru the same thing. It isn't time for the series to conclude or even change. This is what people want. They want to read more and more of what's happening, don't change a thing. That's how I was. Then it hit me-I've outgrown these books. Loved them, but like you, I didn't laugh or smile anymore. In fact I was bored. I knew it was time. Time to say good-bye. It happened about two books ago.

Trusted Contributor

I am enjoying Less by Andrew Sean Greer.

Less is a satirical comedy novel. It follows gay writer Arthur Less while he travels the world on a literary tour, as his fiftieth birthday and the wedding of a former lover loom in the near future.

Less earned author Greer the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder Wears A Little Black Dress, A Resale Boutique Mystery by Debra Sennefelder.  Easy read.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I’m reading “The Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  I’m only about 100 pages into it, but love it.  Will probably read another 100 pages tonight!