Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2019

I just finished The Great Alone by K. Hannah.  I have mixed feelings about it. Quite a sad story.  I have been to Alaska and I get it’s beauty.  It kept me reading but it wasn’t a feel good book.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

I just finished The Great Alone by K. Hannah.  I have mixed feelings about it. Quite a sad story.  I have been to Alaska and I get it’s beauty.  It kept me reading but it wasn’t a feel good book.  LM

@Lilysmom

I originally wanted to read this book, and then after reading a few reviews and more about what the book was about I decided that this would be a subject matter that I would not care to read about, so I gave it a pass.  

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus, I can understand that.  I think it was well written.  The subject matter is tough.  It was like watching a train wreck.  You know the ending but you can’t look away.  LM

Valued Contributor

Finished “A Gentleman in Moscow” last week & enjoyed very much. A man’s adaptation to house arrest in a hotel through decades of social & political change. A little long. Now I’m reading “The Course of Love” (DeBotton) and it’s a good novel. Very articulate insights about sustaining a couple’s relationship through phases and changes. Making me look in the mirror a bit more which is slightly uncomfortable and valuable.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today I finished Only Child by Rhiannon Navin. Beautifully written novel about a mass shooting in an elementary school, told through the eyes of a 6-year old boy who lived though it and whose 10-year old brother was killed. 

I loved the naivete of the boy and his thought processes as he tries to understand why his brother was taken from him and his family. 

Although the story was very sad, I loved this little boy and I found myself quite involved in his story. I couldn't put the book down. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

THE BOY  Tami Hoag

THE STORYTELLER'S SECRET  Sejal Badani

HER ONE MISTAKE  Heidi Perks

THE WARTIME SISTERS  Lynda Cohen Loigman

GONE TO DUST  Matt Goldman

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2, what did you think of Tami Hoag’s The Boy?  LM

Respected Contributor

@LilysmomI really loved this book. I tried reading Tami Hoag before and could never get into her books. I think the reason I stayed with this book is because I really liked the two main characters. I am going to read Thin Dark Line which is an old book, but has those two characters. 

Regular Contributor

This weather = lots of time for reading!

Here's what I finished:

A Picture of Murder by TE Kinsey - book 4 in a historical mystery series, and my first book sent to me through my Page 1. book subscription.

Bountiful and Overnight Sensation by Sarina Bowen - romance novels that were just ok...

Bibliophile by Jane Mount - a lovely illustrated book filled with literary treasures!

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzch - a historical mystery that was my library's Dec/Jan book club book that I forgot to read until Saturday... Book Club meets today --oops! AND I didn't really like it.

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott - a young adult novel about teens with Cystic Fibrosis. This hits close to home because I have a dear friend with CF. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Janey2.  I have loved some of her books and found others just ok.  When I like her, I like her a lot.  Glad to see your recommendation.  LM