Super Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2019

A really charming book!

Super Contributor

I have loved other Tana French books but I was disappointed in The Witch Elm .

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake  Lisa Scottoline is a good author. The setting is usually  the Philadelphia, PA area.  If you have ever lived there or visited, it's fun to think, "Oh, yes, I know where that is; I can picture that."  I like it when i can make that kind of a connection, then the story seems more authentic to me.

Respected Contributor

Finished Yara Zgheib's The Girls At 17 Swann Street.  A very serious subject and well written about a house where anorexics live to get treatment.

Onto Widows' Revenge by Lynda LaPlante.  Enjoyed the 1st book in this series.

Trusted Contributor

I read The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen and found it to be quite twisty and all in all an enjoyable read. It kept me wondering almost all the way through.

In honor of the Super Bowl I read The Campaign by Donald A. Shinn aka gardenman. I liked it and got a few chuckles out of it also.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Hotel on the corner of bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford and I l loved it, found myself tearing up in a couple of spots, really good book, IMO.

Next up I found you by Lisa Jewel over all I enjoy Lisa Jewel as an author so looking forward to reading this one!

Esteemed Contributor

I goofed, started I found you by Lisa Jewel and realized I had read it before, so I put it down and now I am going to read Master of His Fate by Barbara Taylor Bradford, again I have no idea what it is about so will post by final review when I am done

Honored Contributor

I’ve discovered Louise Penny and am on the second book of the Inspector Gamache series. 

I also read The Ex-Wife by Jess Ryder and thought it was so-so. It started out well but parts were so preposterous that I kind of trudged through it and had figured out the ending. 

I finished The Daughter by Lucy Dawson and the suspense kept my attention all the way through. Some of the characters weren’t written very well but it didn’t affect the story. 

Respected Contributor

I finished The Witch Elm (Tana French) and am surprised by the many negative reviews.  I thought it was fascinating.  I loved the slow build of the storyline, that was so carefully and superbly crafted.  She had me hooked all the way through.  That's saying a lot since it's over 500 pages.  Brilliantly written in the way each layer unfolds to the next.  Is her Dublin Murder Squad series like this?

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, I read The Witch Elm and I liked it.  I did find it a bit long in some places but would definitely recommend it.  I love the Dublin Murder Squad series.  Read them in order.  Some are better than others but I liked them all.  I view Tana French like I view Louise Penny.  I read everything she writes and I look forward to each book.  Tana French is not as prolific as Penny.  LM