Regular Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2019

I just finished A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev- This is a romance novel set in India and Michgan about a woman who was a child bride (married at the age of 4!) and estranged from her husband for 20 years. At the age of 24, she decides to go to the US and pursue a college degree. In the meantime, her husband, thinking that their marriage was annulled years and years ago, has remarried and needs a divorce! He sends his brother to do the dirty work.  I didn't love this one... and I don't think I am going to finish the series even though I have them on kindle and they have gotten good reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished book 2 of the Ellie Kent mysteries by Alice K. Boatwright, What Child Is This.  This second book was much better, to me, than the first one, and I will definitely read the next book if there is one.

Ellie Kent is an American from San Francisco who marries a vicar from England after a whirlwind romance.  The setting is lovely, but Ellie seems to get involved in murders, much to the dismay of the local constabulary.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I know some of you have also posted about this book.  Tonight I finished The Lost Girls of Paris by Pan Jenoff.  It's another WW II historical fiction story. I always say I won't read any more from that tragic era, but I do.  I'm glad I read it.  It reminded me of an episode from a PBS series, "Foyle's War."  It dealt with a similar story line.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Force of Nature by Jane Harper about 1/2 way through the book I was unsure if I wanted to finish this book, but the more I thought about it, I knew it was because I was distracted so much during the first 1/2 of the book, I ended up enjoying this book, I know it took me forever to get around reading this, but over all I am glad I did!

Respected Contributor

Finished Amy Impellizzeri's Why We Lie.  It was a political "thriller" but not that much of a thriller to me. 

Onto Mary Kay Andrews Sunset Beach.  My first book by her. 

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

I know some of you have also posted about this book.  Tonight I finished The Lost Girls of Paris by Pan Jenoff.  It's another WW II historical fiction story. I always say I won't read any more from that tragic era, but I do.  I'm glad I read it.  It reminded me of an episode from a PBS series, "Foyle's War."  It dealt with a similar story line.

It was kind of sad toward the end, wasn't it? I guess I just didn't think that would happen-all 12.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished The Last Mrs. Parrish and loved it....It was so good, I couldn't wait to pick it up every day.......Thanks Becky for recommending it.....It was an excellent read...I am on to AN UNWANTED GUEST, by Shari LaPena......@beckyb1012

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Finished The Last Mrs. Parrish and loved it....It was so good, I couldn't wait to pick it up every day.......Thanks Becky for recommending it.....It was an excellent read...I am on to AN UNWANTED GUEST, by Shari LaPena......@beckyb1012

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I am interested in your thoughts on AN Unwanted Guest. I  finished last night. I will hold off on my comments until you finish.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I am interested in your thoughts on AN Unwanted Guest. I  finished last night. I will hold off on my comments until you finish.

@icezeus . Will definitely report back once I have finished.... 

Respected Contributor

I read Until Proven Guilty (J.A.Jance), the first in her J. P. Beaumont series.  I thought it was incredibly unbelievable.   Was it a police procedural or a romance?  This is a  very popular series so it must get better.  And I can see that this first book will probably provide a lot of backstory for future books in the series.  I just hope they're better.