Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

I'm reading The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman. I've been wanting to read it for quite a while, and I'm enjoying it very much.

Sadly, it's another book about the holocaust. I'm hoping that perhaps this story of two young lovers...one Jewish, one German...will have a happy ending.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth (Divergent author). The story was completely different from the Divergent series, but still dystopian (is that the word?). I did enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys that kind of setting/story. Before you read it, look at the back and it has a few pages that describe what some of the words mean that you find in the story. That will help you a lot!!

Happy Reading. I am about to start the Sleepwalker (can't remember the author  ?Chris B?????. It's new.

Honored Contributor

@sunala  I read this-it was pretty good. Seems to me it was long. 

Occasional Contributor

I tried reading UPROOTED by Naomi Novik but I just couldn't make myself finish it, others may like it, "fantasy rooted in folklore".  I have now moved on to IT ENDS WITH US by Colleen Hoover, it has very high ratings on both Amazon and Goodreads.

Trusted Contributor

I picked up two new books at the library yesterday:  "ECHOES IN DEATH" by J. D. Robb (very good so far, as always.  I love this series), and a new chick-lit book by Sophie Kinsella (author of the Shopaholic books), called "MY NOT SO PERFECT LIFE."

Respected Contributor

@AnnT  I read Uprooted and did finish it, but it was a struggle.  I think it was more of a YA type of fantasy.  Not really my type of book. I have a newer book on hold, The Bear and the Nightingale, that has been loosely compared to Uprooted.  I hope it's more interesting.     

Super Contributor

Enjoyed listening to
Girl Before by Delaney

starting
Three Weeks with Lady X by Eloisa James
(Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers series/Lady Xenobia India vows to make the powerful b*stard son of a duke marriageable in just 3 weeks/OverDrive audiobook)

Trusted Contributor

I finally finished Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund. It was a tad too long and drawn out for my taste, but it had some interesting stories within. 

I just started The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh last night, so I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  I read this-it was pretty good. Seems to me it was long. 

@Judalineyou know, I thought it was taking a long time to read too. But it's good. I'm only hoping for a semi-happy ending. Holocaust books usually end tragically. Here's hoping.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I started The Sleeperwalker last night and do you know I stayed up nearly all night and read the whole thing!!  It was really good and I couldn't put it down.