"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

[ Edited ]

@rustee wrote:

@rustee wrote:

starting
Fatal by John Lescroart
(an innocent crush soon develops into a dangerous obsession/OverDrive audiobook)

update

This book just made a wild u-turn about 20% into the tale!

@rustee, I like John Lescroart also. I looked for this on Goodreads to get the storyline but couldn't find it.  Is it new?  LM

OOPS, my bad.  Found it.  LM

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

enjoyed listening to
Fatal by Lescroart

starting
Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
(Nina opens a mobile bookshop in a small village in Scotland/library CDs)

Super Contributor

I pulled the bookmark on the Anne Boleyn book and am now reading You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment by the Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh.

Here's a small blurb from the description: 

Based on a retreat that Thich Nhat Hanh led for Westerners, this book offers a range of simple, effective practices for cultivating mindfulness, including awareness of breathing and walking, deep listening, and skillful speech. You Are Here also offers guidance on healing emotional pain and manifesting real love and compassion in our relationships with others.

Trusted Contributor

Just finished JD Robb's new "Echoes in Death" and Lisa Gardner's "Right Behind You", both excellent reads.

Honored Contributor

I'm reading a book of short stories by Mickey Spillane. His friend was asked to finish one that MS didn't think he could, the year he died. Others are short stories they found all over the house and this friend put them in a book-some he wrote himself, tho. Interesting. I always wanted to read Mickey Spillane. In the prologue it says he wanted to be called a writer, not an author. I wonder why? I guess Mike Hammer was the epitome of the private eye books-the forerunner.

Respected Contributor

I'm about 1/3 of the way into The Cove (Catherine Coulter) and getting bored.  It seems to be turning into a romance novel.

I'm 2/3 of the way through Shroud For A Nightingale (P. D. James) and have not been impressed with her Adam Dalgliesh series so far.  This is the 4th.

I'm still reading The Bertie Project (trying to savor it, but I'm almost finished).

And I just obtained Tuesday's Gone (Nicci French) the 2nd in the Frieda Klein series.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only way my library has One Thousand White Women is as an audiobook, so I downloaded it to the Overdrive App on my smartphone.  I listened to two discs (not sure how that compares to chapters, but it was about 2 hours) and found the female narrator extremely annoying.  I decided to read the reviews and was astonished to discover that this book was NOT based on any real events.  Color me naive, I though it was, but no, it was totally fabricated.  And for being total fiction, it's actually somewhat lurid.  I have deleted it. 

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - you made it farther with P. D. James than I did!  I stopped after #3.  I thought they were okay, just nothing special.  Ngaio Marsh is so much better, IMO.  I need to get back to reading her.  

Now I am about to start Jonathan Kellerman's new book, "HEARTBREAK HOTEL."

Respected Contributor

I just finished reading The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper on HGTV.  It was excellent and I highly recommend it.  Quite an adventure these two have been on for many years.  I also joined their mailing list at the Magnolia Market website.