Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

@Judaline Thanks for the giggle this morning!

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Thirteenth Tale is our book club book for March. Hoping I like it. We just did Defending Jacob for February.  Really enjoyed Defending Jacob by William Landay, led to a really interesting discussion.

Currently I am reading The Girl in the Castle by Santa Montefiore. This book is set in Ireland shortly prior and after the Easter Uprising of 1916.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bella-luna  and  @bhan  interesting you both mentioned The Thirteenth Tale.  I looked it up and it sounds intriguing.  I put it on waitlist.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Looks like Michael Connelly has a new book-The Late Show with a new character-a female detective. Looks like she has lots of problems so I don't know if I want to get involved, haha.

You got me excited as I like reallyMichael Connelly, but this new one won't be out until July.  

Super Contributor

@bhan - How fun that your book club will be reading The Thirteenth Tale! I'm only 56 pages in, but I'm loving it!

@smoky22 - Awesome! I hope you are able to get it soon!
Esteemed Contributor

This morning I finished reading Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf. It was an okay murder mystery about a dysfunctional family. The ending was a surprise, which was a plus, but otherwise it was average. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

On to bigger and better. I have loads of books from the library on my Kindle and haven't decided which one to read...yet. I'm thinking of either Fatal, The Bookshop on the Corner, The Shipping News, and Before We Met. Then I have 9 more I can choose between lol Does this happen to you, where you can't decide which book to read next? Drives me crazy (in a good way)!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

This morning I finished reading Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf. It was an okay murder mystery about a dysfunctional family. The ending was a surprise, which was a plus, but otherwise it was average. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

On to bigger and better. I have loads of books from the library on my Kindle and haven't decided which one to read...yet. I'm thinking of either Fatal, The Bookshop on the Corner, The Shipping News, and Before We Met. Then I have 9 more I can choose between lol Does this happen to you, where you can't decide which book to read next? Drives me crazy (in a good way)!

Sunny, if you read The Shipping News, let me know what you think of it.  I had to ptb!  Too droll writing and bored me to death.  Plus it was set in Newfoundland and I swear they have a different way of speaking.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I started The Sleeperwalker last night and do you know I stayed up nearly all night and read the whole thing!!  It was really good and I couldn't put it down. 

@Chihuahuamom, Just finished this & since I am already a Chris Bohjalian fan, this one was excellent!  Learned something, fast paced & informative!  

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished listening to "Right Behind You" by Lisa Gardner, based on reviews here.  I think it was a good story, but have to admit it made me a little sad.  That's not a spoiler, but a general feeling I had throughout the novel.  I'll comment more in a spoiler tag - is not really a spoiler, but comments on something that isn't specifically mentioned on the Amazon description.

Spoiler
I don't believe I know anyone in the foster system, but hearing how the two children were kept away from each other when they were the only source of comfort in their home was heartbreaking to me.  

I did really like the scenes with Telly and his foster parents; his comments to Quincy about them...

Maybe I was just overly sensitive and maybe the fact that I was listening versus reading made the experience different for me.  Nevertheless, will be listening to something that I hope is more lighthearted next.

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

Sunny, if you read The Shipping News, let me know what you think of it.  I had to ptb!  Too droll writing and bored me to death.  Plus it was set in Newfoundland and I swear they have a different way of speaking.

@SWEET- will do. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, though. I think I have 2 more weeks with it. I've never read an Annie Proulx book before, so this will be a first for me.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett