Super Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

I finished You Are Here and now I'm going to read The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

A few days ago I started Lottery, by Patricia Wood.

Amazon's blurb: "Perry L. Crandall knows what it's like to be an outsider. With an IQ of 76, he's an easy mark. Before his grandmother died, she armed Perry well with what he'd need to know: the importance of words and writing things down, and how to play the lottery. Most important, she taught him whom to trust, a crucial lesson for Perry when he wins the multimillion-dollar jackpot. As his family descends, moving in on his fortune, his fate, and his few true friends, he has a lesson for them: never, ever underestimate Perry Crandall."

I am absolutely loving this book! His friends are characters you won't soon forget. I've laughed, and I've cried a little as well. I'm 3/4 of the way done, and can't wait to find out the ending. Yay Perry!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Contributor

I finished reading "A Memory of Violets: a novel of London's Flower Sellers" by Hazel Gaynor.  Really enjoyed it.  Now I am reading "The Girl From the Train" by Irma Joubert.  So far, so good!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished listening to "The Girl Before" by JP Delaney, based on the posts about it here. 

It was fine. Like others, I had a hard time getting into it at first.  Don't really see how Ron Howard could be interested in it.  I guess everyone is looking for their own "Gone Girl" or "Girl on a Train", but those books, whether or not you liked them, were written well.  "The Girl Before" is just a good story - albeat one I had a few problem with (which I will comment on in the Spoiler thread).  There's nothing wrong with that - perfectly good way to spend a few days.  Just don't see it as a feature film with an A list director - but then again, Hollywood also made a movie about Joy Mangano, so what do I know!!  Ha Ha!!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Amazon's blurb: "Perry L. Crandall knows what it's like to be an outsider. With an IQ of 76, he's an easy mark. Before his grandmother died, she armed Perry well with what he'd need to know: the importance of words and writing things down, and how to play the lottery. Most important, she taught him whom to trust, a crucial lesson for Perry when he wins the multimillion-dollar jackpot. As his family descends, moving in on his fortune, his fate, and his few true friends, he has a lesson for them: never, ever underestimate Perry Crandall."

I am absolutely loving this book! His friends are characters you won't soon forget. I've laughed, and I've cried a little as well. I'm 3/4 of the way done, and can't wait to find out the ending. Yay Perry!

@sunala I have this book on my "want to read" list on Goodreads. So happy that you are enjoying it.

I recently read The Couple Next Door by Shari LaPena. It was a good psychological thriller-even though it was a bit far fetched-but it is fiction after all.

I also read Save the Date by Mary Kay Andrews.

Not sure what I will choose next. I will have to live to be 150 to finish all the books that I want to read. But even if that were the case, I would probably never catch up, as I would still be adding new books to the list.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

started:

Murder on Parade by Jessics Fletcher/Donald Bain

(Murder She Wrote series/4th of July/OverDrive-Amazon eBook Alexa is reading to me)

Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@sunala I have this book on my "want to read" list on Goodreads. So happy that you are enjoying it.

I recently read The Couple Next Door by Shari LaPena. It was a good psychological thriller-even though it was a bit far fetched-but it is fiction after all.

I also read Save the Date by Mary Kay Andrews.

Not sure what I will choose next. I will have to live to be 150 to finish all the books that I want to read. But even if that were the case, I would probably never catch up, as I would still be adding new books to the list.

@abbalulu-  I know exactly what you're saying! I'd have to live to 150 to read my entire TBR list, and like you said, I add books all the time! This book, which by the way I finished about a half hour ago, was the best book I've read this year! What a sweet, dear, loving main character. Perry is an absolute gem with a heart of gold. I can't say enough good things about the book. Please read it as soon as you have a chance. The book has been on my list for several years, and it caught my eye as I was browsing. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

I thought The Couple Next Door was kind of stupid, and I found myself being angry at these idiot people throughout the book. Stupid stupid!

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala Thank you for recommending this book, I put a request at the library and I am next in line, sounds good!

Respected Contributor

Finished This Too Shall Pass by Milena Buquests thanks to LibraryThing.   It was about a woman who lives in Spain who's mother died and how she goes to her childhood city to spend some time w/her children, her 2 ex-husbands and her kids by them and friends and meets with a lover too. She runs into old friends also. I think she's obsessed with sex and can't settle down in life.  It was just ok and very short so I finished it pretty quickly at least.

Going to read Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.  I'm way behind in reading this but I am waiting for 3 ARC books from Goodreads to show up.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading "Sleep Tight" by Rachel Abbott", it was a fast read for me, and I enjoyed the twists and turns throughout the story, but I had figured it all out about 1/2 way through the book but it was still a good read, and held my interest.

The story was about a man who became obsessed with another student while the two of them attended the same college and what lengths he went to to control her every move, creepy is an understatement!

I plan on checking out more of her books!