Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~~ August 2016

@sandy53 wrote:

I just finished The Sixth Idea by PJ Tracy.  It is the new (seventh) book in the Monkeewrench series and it is wonderful.  It involves a plot to now kill all those who know about a very top secret theory/project that took place back in the days of developing the hydrogen bomb.  The old theory is now being used to for cyber attacks and that leads Monkeewrench to get involved.  The book is set in the Minneapolis area.  The pace is fast, the characters are smart & likeable, and there is lots of action.  It fits my criteria for a very good book. 

I know I have recommended this series before and I will again encourage people to read it.  PJ Tracy is a mother-daughter writing team based in Minnesota. 

I concur. Very good series.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, @sandy53, for your review of the latest Monkeewrench book.  I have been waiting impatiently for my library to catalog this book and make it available to me!  This is a good series and it has been several years since the last book.

For fans of Laurien Berenson's Dog Show cozy mysteries, she has a new one out called "LIVE AND LET GROWL."  It is a little different, as it is set on a horse farm in Kentucky, which is where the author actually lives now.

I saw on Sue Grafton's Facebook page that her "Y" book will be out in Fall 2017 and the "Z" book will be out in Fall 2019.  A long time to wait! 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 This is, coincidentally what we were just talking about-in the Stalking the Angel book. A woman tells Elvis he reminds her of John Cassavetes and he replies he'd rather look like Ken Tobey. The latter was in the original The Thing sci-fi flick back in the 50's. Cassavetes was a tough guy, interesting looking. You can google each. Just sayin'.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline Well, in my opinion, Kenneth Toby was a lot better looking than John Cassavetes, so I agree with Elvis if those are the choices.  I love those old horror movies, and Kenneth Toby had a great voice.  But James Garner was always wisecracking and that's why I thought of him.  Maybe I should get one of the books on audio.

Respected Contributor

I finished Vinegar Girl.  It's a short book and easy to read and very sweet.  I enjoyed it.

Now I'm on to either The Watchman (first Joe Pike book) or Memory Man by David Baldacci.  I've never read anything by Baldacci and I'm looking forward to this one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 I read The Watchman because I love Joe Pike. He's like smoke-he just appears. I didn't like this 'sappy' side of Joe. Would rather not know his deep down feelings. But, a good book nonetheless. 

My cuz loves Baldacci and told me I have to read him. So I went to the library and got the first one I saw, took it home and started reading. The very first page had about 3 (minimum) F words in it. I took it back and never gave Baldacci another chance. That's just me. Realism? Probably. But I don't have to read it. I hope I didn't ruin your reading.

Speaking of John Cassavetes, does this fit or what??

Respected Contributor

@Judaline that is a great picture of John Cassavetes.  I may have to rethink what Elvis looks like (because that really seems spot on).  And upon second thought, maybe Elvis was wisecracking when he said he thought he looked more like Kenneth Toby (lol).

I can't say that language bothers me that much in books, but it does depend on context.  I'm more put off by graphic or gratuitous violence.  The Baldacci Amos Decker series has pretty good reviews.  I haven't started it yet.     

Frequent Contributor

I am reading FRIDAY NIGHTS by Joanne Trollope. I usually like her books but am not too keen on this one. Too many names and not a very interesting story. May not bother to finish it.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 Yeah, Elvis may have been kidding. I'm going with Cassavetes. You know, Robert Crais may very well have had Cassavetes in mind when he created him. Did you know Ian Fleming had, in his head, a guy looking like Hoagy Carmichael for Bond. James Bond. I know he OK'd Sean Connery for the role. I hope they never make a movie of the Crais books-simply because I don't want my illusions shattered. Let it be.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 and @Judaline - I always picture Elvis Cole looking exactly like the picture of the author, Robert Crais. He looks a bit "smirky" and smart-alecky. I enjoyed the Joe Pike books very much. He is such a "cool" character, and it is interesting to read his backstory.