Re: What are You Reading? ~ AUGUST 2017

my current library audio books

Product DetailsProduct Details

The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis

Don't You Cry  by Mary Kubica 

Respected Contributor

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

It is a middle grade novel, but I enjoyed it as much as my young daughter.  It is about a genius girl who encountered a tragic situation, but the people around her step up to the plate and help her through it.  I love the multicultural characters in the book. It is uplifting and life affirming. Since it is a middle grade novel, it is an easy and fast read.  I highly recommend it!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne the fires are so awful. They said the air quality was way worse than in parta of China. 

When I read you're in Canada..I'm reading a book called The Storm Murders by John Farrow a Canadian author. I'm about 100 pages in and really enjoying it. The main character is Emile Cinq-Mars a retired detective and appears in a series of crime fiction books.  If you're not familiar with this author I recommend him. And I'm not much of a fiction reader but this book is holding my interest.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

THE SECRETS SHE KEEPS  Michael Robotham

THE BOOKSHOP AT WATER'S EDGE  Patti Callahan Henry

THE INNKEEPER'S SISTER  Linda Goodnight

COLLARED   David Rosenfelt

DARK SATURDAY  Nicci French

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV

I am not in Canada but in the PNW 80+ miles from the border.  Our air is still hazy with smoke.

Thanks for recommendation though.  I will check out his books.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished a book by Brynn Chancellor called SYCAMORE. This is probably what I would call a coming of age story although it is from the perspective of several people. I found the book very moving. It's not a feel good story but not overly depressing either. It is a story of real life and and the things we live through. It is the kind of book that makes you stop and think and also the kind of book that makes you see just how bad some of the books like The Girl in Cabin 10 are. @Judaline, that last comment was for you.

I don't know if it was recommended here. I am sure it is highly rated on Goodreads as I usually go there for storyline and ratings.  (Update, rated 3.8 on Goodreads)

Check it out. I recommend. LM

Esteemed Contributor

Today, I started reading Murder in Cannes, by Susan Kiernan-Lewis.  This is book 10 in her series and it is very good.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading "The Sunshine Sisters" by "Jane Green' very good book.

A Hollywood actress is the mother to 3 girls, each daughter as different as day is to night.  They grow up and do not stay in touch each battling their own experiences from their childhood's, when one day all 3 girls are summoned by their mother to return home, reluctantly each daughter drops what they are doing in their personal lives to go back  to their childhood home.

It is then revealed that their mother is suffering from a fatal disease and she asked her girls to help her to end her life in 3 days.  Each girl struggles with their mother's decision their mother after all was not the best mother figure in any  of their lives.

As time goes on, each daughter comes to terms with the lack of a relationship they had with their mother and with each other, and discover who they really are and what they truly mean to each other.

Trusted Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@abbalulu wrote:

@sunala I'm so glad to find someone else that read that book. I love finding quirky little quiet books which haven't gotten much press but are really good. It's like going on a treasure hunt and finding a precious gem. I'm sure only people that really care about books and reading can relate to that feeling. That's why I love this forum as there are all sorts of book lovers here who enjoy so many different genres.

@abbalulu- I love those books as well! I have several that never did get all that much publicity but yet they were some of the best books I've read. Here are a few:

Shepherd Avenue by Charlie Carillo

Return to Shepherd Avenue by Charlie Carillo

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

Lottery by Patricia Wood

The Tumbling Turner Sisters by Juliette Fay

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

When the Emperor was Divine by Julie Otsuka

The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck

My Mrs. Brown by Billy Norwich

There are so many more books that weren't best sellers that were so wonderful. Have you read any one of these? I recommend them all...a lot. Happy Reading!

@sunala

I loved The Tumbling Turner Sisters!   The Pecan Man has been on my list for a long time but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@september wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

Sunala: Too many rules. 

@Group 5 minus 1- care to explain? I have no clue what you're referring to.

I don't get it, either.  Is that the name of a book??

hi @september!  I have no idea what was meant by that comment! I laughed when I read your response LOL

I wonder if she meant your very first post, @sunala where you describe how we should bold the titles, etc???? Could be, I guess.

@Judaline- could be. But they are suggestions, not rules. It says so right in the post.  Or maybe she was kidding lol

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett