Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~ AUGUST 2017

Product DetailsI listened to this an audio download from the library.  If I remember right other people  read this and didn't like it and I totally get that because it is not for everyone but I enjoyed listening to it.

My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth  Strout

Super Contributor

I pulled an actual book off my shelf, haha. It's a cozy that I've had for...I don't even know how long called Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle. 

Here's the blurb from Amazon: 

Brooklyn Wainwright is a skilled surgeon. Sure, her patients might smell like mold and have spines made of leather, but no ailing book is going to die on her watch. The same can’t be said of Abraham Karastovsky, Brooklyn’s friend and former employer.  

On the eve of a celebration for his latest book restoration, Brooklyn finds her mentor lying in a pool of his own blood. With his final breath Abraham leaves Brooklyn with a cryptic message, “Remember the Devil,” and gives her a priceless—and supposedly cursed—copy of Goethe’s Faust for safe-keeping.  

Brooklyn suddenly finds herself accused of murder and theft, thanks to Derek Stone, the humorless—and annoyingly attractive—British security officer who found her kneeling over the body. Now she has to read the clues left behind by her mentor if she is going to restore justice...

Honored Contributor

@catmama I just went to Amazon and read the "look inside" couple of pages to see if it's something I might like. It's something I might like. Thnx

Honored Contributor

@AndiCat wrote:

Thank you for the review @AngelPuppy1 . I have this on my kindle and had forgotten about it. 

@AndiCatI have about 10 more pages to go --- I can't wait to see how it ends but I will be sad when I am done with it!  

What a great story and how wonderfully written it is --- so expressive --- you just feel like you are living the life of both lead characters!  

I hope you enjoy it!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

A friend got me started on Brad Thor's Scot Harvath books.  Started to read them in order and really enjoying them.  Just finished "State Of The Union" - a real thriller.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

Product DetailsI listened to this an audio download from the library.  If I remember right other people  read this and didn't like it and I totally get that because it is not for everyone but I enjoyed listening to it.

My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth  Strout

I loved "My Name is Lucy Barton."  And now I'm reading "Anything is Possible" and it's terrific, the two books have awesome synergy and I want to re-read Lucy Barton again after I finish "Anything is Possible."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been stuck in the house because of excessive heat (for us) and poor air quality because of the fires in Canada.  The last few days the sky has been brown with smoke.  Heard on the news that we had the worst air quality in the United States.  I read The Alice Network by Kate Quinn which I enjoyed.

"It's 1947 and American college girl Charlie St. Clair is pregnant, unmarried, and on the verge of being thrown out of her very proper family. She's also nursing a fervent belief that her beloved French cousin Rose, who disappeared in Nazi-occupied France during the war, might still be alive somewhere. So when Charlie's family banishes her to Europe to have her "little problem" take care of, Charlie breaks free and heads to London determined to find out what happened to the cousin she loves like a sister. In 1915, Eve Gardiner burns to join the fight against the Germans and unexpectedly gets her chance to serve when she's recruited to work as a spy for the English. Sent into enemy-occupied France during The Great War, she's trained by the mesmerizing Lili, the "Queen of Spies", who manages a vast network of secret agents, right under the enemy's nose. Thirty years later, haunted by the betrayal that ultimately tore apart the Alice Network, Eve spends her days drunk and secluded in her crumbling London house. Until a young American barges in uttering a name Eve hasn't heard in decades, and launching them both on a mission to find the truth ... no matter where it leads"-- Provided by publisher.

I also read Dangerous Minds by Janet Evanovich.  I am about ready to give up on her books.  

I am just starting The Leavers by Lisa Ko.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Janet Evanovich's Turbo Twenty-three  and Alexander McCall Smith's A Distant View of Everything.    Currently reading, Lee Strauss' Murder at Bray Manor,  Book 3.  This series is a historical cozy mystery, taking place after WWI.  Very good read.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Homicide in Hardcover (Kate Carlisle) and really enjoyed it.  

Earlier today, I got an email from my library letting me know that a book I had previously put on hold, was now checked out to my account.  It's another cozy entitled Murder at the Brightwell: A Mystery (An Amory Ames Mystery) by Ashley Weaver. Thing is, I'm not sure if I want to read another cozy right now, so I might send it back...I dunno. 

Honored Contributor

Well, at first I was happy to hear that Hallmark has made a movie of At Home In Mitford. But reading the cast, well they should have consulted me first. It's just wrong. All wrong. BUT, I think they got Barnabus right!