Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~ AUGUST 2017

@sunala  If you liked Once We Were Brothers I'm sure you will like Karolina's Twins. It goes back and forth from WWll to present. I really enjoyed this. Ronald Balson once again.

Honored Contributor

Every Last Lie, by Mary Kubica;

Any Dream Will Do, by Debbie Macomber

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

The Best Kind of People by Zoe Whittall was a great read. 

Going to read Sally Quinn's (nf) Finding Magic.  Have read her fiction before but not her nf.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

First They Killed My Father - A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers by Loung Ung. 

Contributor

@sunala, I couldn't agree more.  I just love the Harry Bosch novels, wanted to love this new character as well, but it's the first Connelly book that (1) I dragged my feet about finishing and (2) couldn't wait for it to be done & away from me.  I kept hoping that I would like Renee but I just could not.  And, I also had thoughts that Connelly wrote it with someone else.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  If you liked Once We Were Brothers I'm sure you will like Karolina's Twins. It goes back and forth from WWll to present. I really enjoyed this. Ronald Balson once again.

hi @Judaline

I loved Once We Were Brothers. Thanks for the tip for Karolina's Twins. There's actually a series of 3 books starting with Once We Were Brothers. That's the first, then Saving Sophie, then Karolina's Twins. I'm not sure they should be read in order, but they are all called the "Liam Taggart and Catherine Lockhart Series."

I'm anxious to read them, and thanks for the heads up!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sk888888 wrote:

@sunala, I couldn't agree more.  I just love the Harry Bosch novels, wanted to love this new character as well, but it's the first Connelly book that (1) I dragged my feet about finishing and (2) couldn't wait for it to be done & away from me.  I kept hoping that I would like Renee but I just could not.  And, I also had thoughts that Connelly wrote it with someone else.

@sk888888- I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for Renee. She wasn't very likeable, and in my opinion she lacked humanity.  She had no friends, only her grandmother as family, and seemed to have many enemies at work, which in a way is understandable the way she was $crewed over by Olivas.

On to bigger and better!!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I couldn't wait to read All Summer Long by Dorothea Benton Frank. I wanted an adventure in the Low Country (Charleston SC) which is her norm setting. Usually it is about friends, family entanglements - basically life. So I was happy to read this book during the season it was named.

Was it awful - no

Was it great - no

Was it memorable - no

Honored Contributor

@sunala  I knew about Saving Sophie but as I recall it's not a WWll setting. I believe the only similarity was that the same lawyers had this case as in the other two novels. But if I'm wrong, let me know! Hope you get to read Karolina's Twins. I think with his "Brothers'' novel's success, he is trying to use the same genre in "Karolina". Worked for me.

Respected Contributor

I just finished reading Every Last Lie by Mary Kubica.  It's very suspenseful and a few parts even scared me enough that I had to stop reading for awhile.  Great book!