Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~ AUGUST 2017

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@GenXmuse

I have read both and liked both but highly recommend Watch Me Disappear.

Great! Thank you @DiAnne. I'm about to get in bed and I checked back on this thread, hoping I had an answer, so thank you!

I'm listening to Watch Me Disappear on audiobook  and stay up later than I should because it's so good.   Very engaging and I'm looking forward to where it will take me! Thanks for suggesting I go for that one and for those who recommended this book here!

Respected Contributor

Me too. Just finished it today. Great book. Highly recommend.

Honored Contributor

DEADFALL by Linda Fairstein, my favorite author.  Half way through it.  Mystery set in New York.

Respected Contributor

KathyM23 wrote:

I just finished reading COLLARED by David Rosenfelt.  It is a mystery featurilng attorney Andy Carpenter.  He is wealthy because of an inheritance and doesn't have to work, but is always getting involved in coming to the defense of wrongly accused., altho it is a mystery there is much humor also. He is married to an ex-cop and has a quirky group of people working for him. He is also owner of an animal rescue facility so it also features dogs.

In real life, he is also a rescuer of golden retrievers and if you have not discovered him yet he wrote a non-fiction book about moving from California to Maine with 25 golden retrievers.  Quite a humorous adventure!  I am glad I discovered this author.

@KathyM23  based on your review (and some others here) I started the first book in the series, Open And Shut.  I'm really enjoying it, but the lady he's married to in this first book is not an ex-cop.  All that must happen later in the series.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through and I think it's a series I will like immensely.  I love his wisecracking ways.  Reminds me a little of Elvis Cole.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

DEADFALL by Linda Fairstein, my favorite author.  Half way through it.  Mystery set in New York.

Do you recommended going in order of the books or could I pick this one up and enjoy it without having read the rest of the series?  It sounds good! Thank you!

Respected Contributor

I finished Rules of Civility (Amor Towles) and enjoyed it very much.  It does have a few issues.  The name of the main character is ridiculous.  And a male author doing a female character in the first person is always a stretch to me.  But the atmosphere of New York City in the late 1930's rings true and it reads a little bit like a love letter to that city.  It's similar to the authenticity he evokes for another city in A Gentleman in Moscow.  I think he's a very gifted writer.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  I'm on it. You had me with the Elvis Cole!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to I Liked My Life by Abby Fabiaschi and I really enjoyed it.  Really liked how the author wrote.  I was looking up another book and saw this one in the "customers also bought" section.  The high number of positive reviews piqued my interest.

From Amazon:

Maddy is a devoted stay-at-home wife and mother, host of excellent parties, giver of thoughtful gifts, and bestower of a searingly perceptive piece of advice or two. She is the cornerstone of her family, a true matriarch...until she commits suicide, leaving her husband, Brady, and teenage daughter, Eve, heartbroken and reeling, wondering what happened. How could the exuberant, exacting woman they loved disappear so abruptly, seemingly without reason, from their lives? How they can possibly continue without her? As they sift through details of her last days, trying to understand the woman they thought they knew, Brady and Eve are forced to come to terms with unsettling truths.

Maddy, however, isn't ready to leave her family forever. Watching from beyond, she tries to find the perfect replacement for herself. Along comes Rory: pretty, caring, and spontaneous, with just the right bit of edge...but who also harbors a tragedy of her own. Will the mystery of Maddy ever come to rest? And can her family make peace with their history and begin to heal?

Although the book dealt with serious issues of loss and forgiveness, there were also multiple times when I laughed out loud.  I guess I just felt that there was a realism that I liked.

The book moved between Maddy, Brady and Eve's perspective.  In terms of audible narrators, I loved Maddy and Eve, but Brady's voice just didn't fit for me.  All of the narrators were great; the man's voice just wasn't what I expected.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@GenXmuse

I have read both and liked both but highly recommend Watch Me Disappear.

Great! Thank you @DiAnne. I'm about to get in bed and I checked back on this thread, hoping I had an answer, so thank you!

I'm listening to Watch Me Disappear on audiobook  and stay up later than I should because it's so good.   Very engaging and I'm looking forward to where it will take me! Thanks for suggesting I go for that one and for those who recommended this book here!

I read this too and enjoyed it.  Were you mad at the he ending?  I was.  No spoilers pls.  LM

Honored Contributor

I haven't finished yet, so I don't know but I'll get back to you after I do. Smiley Happy