Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~ AUGUST 2017

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished Lottery (Patricia Wood) and I have to comment on it.  BTW, in case you are going to look for it, the title is just Lottery (not The Lottery).  I don't know if I've ever read a more perfect book.  Even really good books usually have some boring parts and some disappointing parts, or the ending is just not quite right, or something.  This was perfect all the way through, including the ending.  Loved it!

@smoky22- I know, right?? This was the PERFECT book, from beginning to end. I have to say it's probably one of my top ten of my life!

You described it perfectly!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I'm now reading The Late Show by Michael Connelly. So far it's pretty good, but I'm not jumping for joy about it...yet.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

I'm finishing up the latest Royal Spyness cozy mystery from Rhys Bowen, called "ON HER MAJESTY'S FRIGHTFULLY SECRET SERVICE" and then starting Tess Gerritsen's new Rizzoli and Isles thriller, "I KNOW A SECRET."  I am greatly looking forward to Tuesday's release of the new Sue Grafton mystery, "Y IS FOR YESTERDAY."  Can't wait to read that one!

Valued Contributor

I finished Truman by David McCullough.  He is an outstanding writer and I learned so much. I came away with much respect for him.

i also just read The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter.  If you haven't read anything by her, you are missing out.  Powerful, raw, intense - I could not put it down.  I devoured it.

Highly recommend both.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline  Almost at the end of Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.  It is one of the better books I've read this summer.

History, suspense, romance, sadness, and determination are all within the plot. The fact that Pello actually lived this life made it all the more fascinating.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  Thanks for the reminder about the new Sue Grafton book Y Is For Yesterday I just put it on hold and there are 398 people ahead of me.  Unless it's a very fast read, I should get it sometime in 2018.

Valued Contributor

Have read the first chapter of The Salt House by Lisa Duffy.

AMAZON SUMMARY

In the coastal town of Alden, Maine, Hope and Jack Kelly have settled down to a life of wedded bliss. They have a beautiful family, a growing lobster business, and the Salt House—the dilapidated oceanfront cottage they’re renovating into their dream home. But tragedy strikes when their young daughter doesn’t wake up from her afternoon nap, taking her last breath without making a sound.

A year later, each member of the Kelly family navigates the world on their own private island of grief. Hope spends hours staring at her daughter’s ashes, unable to let go. Jack works to the point of exhaustion in an attempt to avoid his crumbling marriage. Their daughters, Jess and Kat, struggle to come to terms with the loss of their younger sister while watching their parents fall apart.

When Jack’s old rival, Ryland Finn, threatens his fishing territory, he ignites emotions that propel the Kelly family toward circumstances that will either tear them apart—or be the path to their family’s future.

Told in alternating voices, The Salt House is a layered, emotional portrait of marriage, family, friendship, and the complex intersections of love, grief, and hope.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  It depends on how many copies they have. You'd be surprised at how fast it goes when there are a lot of them.

Honored Contributor

As I recall, tonight Mitford airs on Hallmark. Pretty sure.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover  Thanks for the reminder about the new Sue Grafton book Y Is For Yesterday I just put it on hold and there are 398 people ahead of me.  Unless it's a very fast read, I should get it sometime in 2018.

@smoky22 - Oh no!  Sorry about that.  I'll let you know how it is.  I'm skimming through the X book today, to remind myself what happened.  On another topic, my library has finally received the new Elly Griffiths book and is cataloging and processing it now.  I hope to get it later this week.