Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~ AUGUST 2017

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori  I loved the original Miss Marple, Joan Dlckson. She was so perfect. Then there were I think 3 others who followed and were soooo wrong. Joan Dlckson was actually in a Miss Marple movie as a costar. Funny coincidence. Have you ever seen the Miss Marple big screen movies with Margaret Rutherford? She was priceless. And there was so much comedy in these movies. Just look at her.

Related image

@Judaline, haven't seen any of them but she looks perfect.  I can practically count the hairs on her chin LOL. 

I love Miss Marple, I have the Miss Marple stories on my phone and read them in the doctors' offices.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@lynne6was7 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@lovescats 

@lovescats wrote:

I haven't read the book but to me Andie MacDowell and Cameron Mathison  don't seem like they would be a couple.  Who would you have cast?

Well, that's not really it.You have to have read the books. The thing is, Fr. Tim was somewhere in his sixties, short, not young and tall as cast. And Andie MacDowell, well I don't like her, that's all. And not how I pictured Cynthia at all. I've read all the books, and I know readers wouldn't agree with this casting. The town characters are very quirky, many being senior citizens, so I hope they don't mess that up. Dooley looks ok (pictured).

I agree that the casting seems wrong.  I've always pictured Cynthia looking a bit like Jan Karon in this photo.

Jan Karon.jpg

sx violence and wholesomeness I never knew that's what those books were about.

@lovescats@Judaline --

The quote reads "There's a little oasis of wholesomeness amid the sex and violence bestseller lists."   

The sentence is written so badly I could see how you took it the way you did.  But what they're trying to say is amid all the violent and sexual books on the bestseller list is the Mitford series, "a little oasis of wholesomeness."

It's said in an awkward and grammatically incorrect way (for shame, Wall Street Journal!) and anyway it's not true -- case in point "A Man Called Ove" and dozens of other books that lead the bestseller lists that are not full of sex and/or violence.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

@lynne6was7 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@lovescats 

@lovescats wrote:

I haven't read the book but to me Andie MacDowell and Cameron Mathison  don't seem like they would be a couple.  Who would you have cast?

Well, that's not really it.You have to have read the books. The thing is, Fr. Tim was somewhere in his sixties, short, not young and tall as cast. And Andie MacDowell, well I don't like her, that's all. And not how I pictured Cynthia at all. I've read all the books, and I know readers wouldn't agree with this casting. The town characters are very quirky, many being senior citizens, so I hope they don't mess that up. Dooley looks ok (pictured).

I agree that the casting seems wrong.  I've always pictured Cynthia looking a bit like Jan Karon in this photo.

Jan Karon.jpg

sx violence and wholesomeness I never knew that's what those books were about.

@lovescats@Judaline --

The quote reads "There's a little oasis of wholesomeness amid the sex and violence bestseller lists."   

The sentence is written so badly I could see how you took it the way you did.  But what they're trying to say is amid all the violent and sexual books on the bestseller list is the Mitford series, "a little oasis of wholesomeness."

It's said in an awkward and grammatically incorrect way (for shame, Wall Street Journal!) and anyway it's not true -- case in point "A Man Called Ove" and dozens of other books that lead the bestseller lists that are not full of sex and/or violence.

@LoriLori   thank you so much for clearing that up because I took it completely wrong.    

Respected Contributor

I recently finished The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green.  The story of 3 sisters who have drifted apart and are called home by their ill mother to try to mend their relationships.  It was excellent!   She's one of my favorite authors.

Now I'm reading A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman.  It's good so far and he's a very interesting character. 

Respected Contributor

I read quite a few of the Mitford books many years ago. Can't remember a lot but I remember he was a pastor maybe and they took in a child who needed them. I suppose me not remembering a lot is probably a good thing if the characters are all wrong. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to The Lying Game by Ruth Ware (#RWBookClub) and I enjoyed it. Even though the reader could figure out one part of the mystery, I still thought there were a few ways the story could have ended. I do think it may have dragged a bit, particularly getting to the final word (and the final few sentences that I didn't particularly find relevant or necessary.)

Three friends are called back to the old boarding school they were forced to leave by a fourth friend.  A secret they've been hiding for 17 years is about to be discovered and thus destroy the lives the girls have built.  Can they trust each other not to break from the lie they've been telling all this time?  The story is narrated by one of the friends, so you are only following one voice throughout the book.  It does move between the past and present, but I don't think it was excessive.

Was it as good as the 1st half of Cabin 10?  No. I really loved how that book started.  But,  IMO, it is significantly superior to how that book ended! At least the author knew how to finish the story she started!  I can also say that I thought Into the Water by Paula Hawkins had a more moody atmosphere and this was missed a bit in The Lying Game.

The audiobook narrator was good, I thought.  

Bonus: I learned there is a second way to say "clique".

Honored Contributor

Thanks, lori. I could hardly see it much less read it-the 'amid the sex and violence' thing.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori So funny about the hairs on Miss Marple's chin. Did you read the thread/post where the poster said she has it in writing by her daughter that no matter where she is, which nursing home, her daughter hereby swears she will come and tweeze out her mother's chin hairs. hahahahaha So funny.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Elin Hilderbrand's The Identicals.  Loved it like all of her others.  She always writes a perfect Summer read.

Onto Janet Peery's The Exact Nature of Our Wrongs, a GR win.  Another family book but that's what I enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

The Hansa, History and Culture, Johannes Schildhauer, Dorset Press

Required reading for my interest in the formation of the Hanseatic League and the Hansa domination of North Sea and Baltic trade as it related to wool and its end products at the start of the new millennium (1000 A.D.).

My interest here is not recreational, but one of practicality, as I seriously consider starting-up an on-line business of a particular brand of yarn (Netherlands) that is taking the world by storm.  Few sources exist in the U.S., all with low stock.

Appreciating the historic significance of Flanders (The Netherlands, Belgium, etc.) will help cement my relations with the parent corporation in The Netherlands.