Valued Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~ AUGUST 2017

@auburndawne wrote:

Finished reading Lilac Girls...loved loved loved!!!  If you loved The Nightingale you will definitely love this book too.

@auburndawne Our book club almost chose Lilac Girls for next month's selection.  However, some of the members feel we have already read a number of WWII novels.  I have it downloaded and will read it next.  Everyone seems to have enjoyed it. 

Valued Contributor

I enjoyed the Discovery of Witches series too.  Lots of tension (sexual and otherwise) and very believable characters. Hope her next book is as good as this series was.

Honored Contributor

I'm just about finished with Karolina's Twins by the author of Once We Were Brothers (which I loved) by Ronald Balson. Almost as good. I certainly am savoring every bite!

Trusted Contributor

LANA: the Lady, the Legend, the Truth by LANA TURNER

This is actress Lana Turner's 1982 autobiography. It is very well-written (she admits she had help!) and a real page-turner. What a life she had! If you are a TCM fan you will enjoy not only the details of Lana's life and her Hollywood career, but her "take" and tidbits of info on others of that era. Highly recommend it! (I got it on Amazon.)

Respected Contributor

@auburndawne wrote:

Started The Nix by Nathan Hill.  It's long...over 700 pages...and I am about 250 pages in and just can't love it yet.  Has anyone else read this book and can encourage me to continue reading it or should I stop now...haha!!!  I have very few books that I will quit reading before the end but this is one I am thinking about stopping!

@auburndawne   I loved The Nix.  I'm not usually fond of sagas, nor of books that are so long.  So go figure.  I loved the style, loved the writing, loved the characters.  One of my favorite books of last year.  I'm pretty sure it didn't take me 250 pages to love it, so it might just not be your kind of book.

Respected Contributor

I just finished Magpie Murders (Anthony Horowitz) and really enjoyed the story within a story.  Very clever.

Respected Contributor

Currently in the middle of "Spring Fever" by Mary Kay Andrews.  It's a fun summer beach/pool book.

Honored Contributor

The Stars are Fire - Listened to the audio book and it really held my attention.  The only thing I find unbelievable (not just in this book, but on TV too) is when a character walks into a place and suddenly is put to work.  In this case, a busy doctor hires the main character. She's doing triage almost immediately.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I just finished Magpie Murders (Anthony Horowitz) and really enjoyed the story within a story.  Very clever.

@smoky22, just ordered it from Book Depository UK where it's out in paperback.  (And TBH I love reading a British book with British spelling.)  Looks great and very good reviews.

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle  I have The Life and Loves of Lana Turner. It's not an autobiography but you get the 'picture' anyway. I think that's all of Lana I need to read, lol.