Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

[ Edited ]

@sunala  Rona Jaffe? Harold Robbins? They weren't very old, surely! Loved their books-back in the day. Sorry to hear that. When Catherine Cookson died I know she had oh so many books in her. She once said she knew the book she was going to write next-even the dialogue. The whole book. A real tragedy that she's gone.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

I couldn't decide which book to start last night. After some thought, I chose At the Water's Edge by Sarah Gruen, who wrote Like Water for Elephants. I'm not quite into it yet but hopefully I'm getting there. I have so many good new books to choose from on my Kindle, I couldn't decide. 

Sometimes it's distracting to have so many new good books at one time. It's like I don't know where to start. 

Here's hoping it's a winner!

Not to be picky, but it's one of my pet peeves but it's SARA.  Probably because it's my niece's name and people always spell it wrong.  LOL.

I enjoyed all of her books and she hasn't had any published in a while I think.  Let me know if you enjoy it.

I know that pet peeve well, Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

@sunala To be honest I didn't like At the Water's Edge.  I disliked it so much I've not been able to read this authors' other books.

I can top that. I didn't like Water for Elephants. I mean, what was all the fuss? I would never read another one by that author.

Valued Contributor

I have just begun reading No One is Coming to Save Us  by Stephanie Powell Watts:

JJ Ferguson has returned home to Pinewood, North Carolina, to build his dream house and to pursue his high school sweetheart, Ava. But as he reenters his former world, where factories are in decline and the legacy of Jim Crow is still felt, he’s startled to find that the people he once knew and loved have changed just as much as he has.

Respected Contributor

LOSING YOU  Nicci French

RIGHT BEHIND YOU  Lisa Gardner

HEARTBREAK HOTEL  Jonathan Kellerman

WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES  Georgia Hunter.........HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished The Breakdown by B.A. Paris.  Liked this one much better than Behind Closed Doors.

Onto Abbi Waxman's The Garden of New Beginnings.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished LILAC GIRLS.  It was very good.  LM

Valued Contributor

I devoured Greg Iles' Mississippi Blood, in just a few days and now I am sad I didn't take it slower.  The third and final book in his Natchez trilogy, Greg Iles once again proves he is the quintessential Southern writer  - oh, heck - he is just an outstanding writer.  Arguably one of the best out there.  Like Grisham at his best and Pat Conroy, Greg Iles' lays out the soul of the South with love and without excuses.  What a powerful book.  

I've read everything he's written.  All his books are excellent.  He just keeps getting better.  Highly recommend!

PS- don't let the Southern references turn you off!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  Rona Jaffe? Harold Robbins? They weren't very old, surely! Loved their books-back in the day. Sorry to hear that. When Catherine Cookson died I know she had oh so many books in her. She once said she knew the book she was going to write next-even the dialogue. The whole book. A real tragedy that she's gone.

Hi @Judaline I was just thinking of authors that I miss, and those came to my mind. There are so many that are no longer with us that I know had more books inside of them. 

Kent Haruf is one that I know had more books to write. He didn't even get to completely edit his last novel, Our Souls at Night. Every one of his books were more beautiful than the one before. I sure do miss him. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

@sunala To be honest I didn't like At the Water's Edge.  I disliked it so much I've not been able to read this authors' other books.

hi @kitty45 I'm more into it now and I'm enjoying it. I think one more chapter will really get me more involved, and then I'll be good to go. 

Wish me luck!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett