Valued Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

Don't know what happened but this was in reference to The Lottery

Esteemed Contributor

I couldn't decide which book to start last night. After some thought, I chose At the Water's Edge by Sarah Gruen, who wrote Like Water for Elephants. I'm not quite into it yet but hopefully I'm getting there. I have so many good new books to choose from on my Kindle, I couldn't decide. 

Sometimes it's distracting to have so many new good books at one time. It's like I don't know where to start. 

Here's hoping it's a winner!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@number one queen  I'm on hold for The River At Night and it's almost my turn.  It sounds good.

@lynne6was7  I just read A Share in Death, the first in the series, and thought it was just ok.  Do they get better as you go along?

Super Contributor

@sunala To be honest I didn't like At the Water's Edge.  I disliked it so much I've not been able to read this authors' other books.

Frequent Contributor

I just finished The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Philips, a nice light read and am just starting The Hollywood Daughter by Kate Alcott, which sounds interesting. It is fiction based on some historical facts about Hollywood and Ingrid Bergman and her love affair with Roberto Rossellini.

Esteemed Contributor

For the most part, I read to escape -- enjoy.  Don't want to be preached at, talked down to, politicized and all that jazz.  Love historical fiction and occasionally read non-fiction ancient, Dark Ages, Middle Ages history.

Came on here today wondering if this has happened to anyone else.  Having read 15 books of a favorite author, I was stunned to tears to learn that she had died.  However, I'd just completed her last book, the title of which had the word "Dye" in it, so thought she had intentionally made a play on words.  This was 4+ years ago.

Fast forward to 2 days ago.  I was on Amazon looking for another book to download onto my Kindle, when lo and behold I see 3, count them 3, new books from this apparently un-dead author!.  Immediately, I think, OK she probably had these in the can and the drafts were with her publisher.  So... I scoped out the situation.

When this author began her writing career in earnest, she co-wrote a number of books with another author and "they" were known by one name.  The #1 person of the writing duo was the one who died.  The #2 person of the duo, in just the one article I unfortunately read, was tied into the name of the #1 person who died and was declared dead.  The #2 person/author and the one I read, remains alive and writing. 

Am currently reading the first of three, which were written in my absence.  (The books are frivolous and light, but fill a certain need.)

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

@sunala To be honest I didn't like At the Water's Edge.  I disliked it so much I've not been able to read this authors' other books.

@kitty45- I'm only trying it because I loved Like Water for Elephants so much. I haven't invested much time in it yet to know if I like it or not. So far it seems okay, but that can change at any moment. I've got so many good books, it won't be a hardship to let it go.

Did you read Like Water for Elephants by this author? It was really a beautiful book.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

For the most part, I read to escape -- enjoy.  Don't want to be preached at, talked down to, politicized and all that jazz.  Love historical fiction and occasionally read non-fiction ancient, Dark Ages, Middle Ages history.

Came on here today wondering if this has happened to anyone else.  Having read 15 books of a favorite author, I was stunned to tears to learn that she had died.  However, I'd just completed her last book, the title of which had the word "Dye" in it, so thought she had intentionally made a play on words.  This was 4+ years ago.

Fast forward to 2 days ago.  I was on Amazon looking for another book to download onto my Kindle, when lo and behold I see 3, count them 3, new books from this apparently un-dead author!.  Immediately, I think, OK she probably had these in the can and the drafts were with her publisher.  So... I scoped out the situation.

When this author began her writing career in earnest, she co-wrote a number of books with another author and "they" were known by one name.  The #1 person of the writing duo was the one who died.  The #2 person of the duo, in just the one article I unfortunately read, was tied into the name of the #1 person who died and was declared dead.  The #2 person/author and the one I read, remains alive and writing. 

Am currently reading the first of three, which were written in my absence.  (The books are frivolous and light, but fill a certain need.)

@sfnative- how odd! Can you share the author's name with us?

And to answer your question, I'm sure several of my favorite authors have died. La Vyrle Spencer was one that I loved who passed away, as did Lawrence Sanders, Belva Plain, Rona Jaffe, and Harold Robbins. However, I don't think that's what you were asking. Can you explain? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

I couldn't decide which book to start last night. After some thought, I chose At the Water's Edge by Sarah Gruen, who wrote Like Water for Elephants. I'm not quite into it yet but hopefully I'm getting there. I have so many good new books to choose from on my Kindle, I couldn't decide. 

Sometimes it's distracting to have so many new good books at one time. It's like I don't know where to start. 

Here's hoping it's a winner!

Not to be picky, but it's one of my pet peeves but it's SARA.  Probably because it's my niece's name and people always spell it wrong.  LOL.

I enjoyed all of her books and she hasn't had any published in a while I think.  Let me know if you enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@number one queen  Try The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian. WWll stuff. I liked it. I will try Garden of Lamentations!