Esteemed Contributor

What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

Happy April to all of our reading friends!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same, or similar title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one!)

Post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why. No need to post the cover.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life more enjoyable for all of us here. 

If you have any suggestions, please shout it out, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
by J. D. Vance

short ebook from library.  enjoying it so far

Product Details

Honored Contributor

lori, How beautiful a poem. It only got better-even more poignant. Thank you and I agree, wish I had more patience and time for poetry. Just not in the cards I guess Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

starting April with
Prey by Linda Howard
(Montana/wilderness guide Angie Powell/ex-soldier Dare Callahan/OverDrive audiobook)

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Trusted Contributor

Hi All,

Have not posted in a while, wanted to post since last month some were asking about 

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See, I just finished the book and enjoyed it very much. Have a good day all, Kathie

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Trusted Contributor

Pekoe Most Poison by Laura Childs

This is her most recent in her Tea Shop mystery series. I like them because they're easy reads and the setting is Charleston, SC.

Super Contributor

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished The F Word by Liza Palmer, a Goodreads ARC win. 

Typical chick lit.  The "F" word can be construed as two things; one is fat since that's who she was in her former life and really dwells on it and the other one is one I can't type since it's the word that I thought of when I first saw the title. Her husband is cheating on her and she finally decides to let go of her marriage. Her life as a publicist is busy and her husband is a cardiac surgeon. It doesn't dwell on their marriage as much as her life as a fat person and as a busy publicist to an actress.

Onto The Breakdown by B.A. Paris, another GR win.  I enjoyed Behind Closed Doors and looking forward to reading it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished "Right Behind You" by "Lisa Gardner", I consider myself somewhat of a crime sleuth, in most novels I have figured out the mystery early on in the story, but I like to read on to see how the author will play out the story.

This one had me guessing until the very end when all was revealed, I literally said "What" out loud, and had to go back and read parts over again because I could not believe I had not picked up on any clues?

This story centers around Telly & his sister Sharlah and their tragic past that leads to their separation as young children, and where their lives come together 8 years later as tragedy once again enters their lives!

It brings together two crime profilers who wish to adopt Sharlah, Frank & Sandra who only wish to give a 17 year old boy a better future, and a whole police team in a small town facing the biggest crime the town has ever witnessed! Will they all be able to come together to solve the mystery that has them all scrambling before the next death occurs?

Valued Contributor

I am rereading The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman.

I think our book club may use this book as our next read.  Also,

I want to see the film and need to refresh my memory.