Trusted Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

Just reserved The Twelve Lives of Samuel Harley @sunala and it looks like it's available! Can't wait to read it and thanks for the recommendation.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@abbalulu, stop by the gardening forum.  I regularly post garden photos along with my gardening friends.  The month of April has been cold and windy.  The gardens are waking up now.  I have a visiting rabbit that is eating my Allium leaves.  I fenced off quite a bit and it seems to have stopped the incursions.  

I planted quite a few Canada 150 tulip bulbs for Canada's 150th birthday this July.  So far they have survived,  The rabbit hides under the juniper shrubs and comes out for a munch lol.  I send my Lab out to do a property check each morning.  The rabbit just laughs!!!  LM

Thanks @Lilysmom I will. The rabbits don't really bother our plants much-I guess there are enough wild plants around to eat. On another note, a mink must have come in during the winter and ate every last one of the koi in our pond and there were some big beautiful fish out there. My husband was heartbroken as they were his babies. He has a live trap out there now since he put some new fish in the pond. I don't think the mink will come back until next winter though. I think since all our dogs are gone the wild life come closer to the house.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu, come over to the gardening forum now.  I will tell you there how my friends dealt with predators and the Koi.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Behind her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough, which got several mentions on this board.  I liked quite a bit of it, but can't comment on what I didn't like as it spoils the entire story.  I think I can say that I probably would not have selected the book had I known the spoiler.

Honored Contributor

Wanted to work in yard today but everything is wet so I finished the book I had started Celine by Peter Heller. The author definitely has a way with words.

LJ Reviews 2017
Celine is a paradox, a Sarah Lawrence blue blood who is also a licensed PI, living near the Brooklyn Bridge. She and her partner/husband, Pete, specialize in finding missing persons, with a success rate higher than that of the FBI. The main plot centers on a daughter's quest for her father, who "disappeared" at Yellowstone many years back, supposedly mauled by a grizzly, while a parallel plot has Celine's son seeking the identity of a child Celine birthed in her teens. Hired by the desperate daughter, Celine learns that local trackers and lawmen doubt the bear story, and as she and Pete approach the park, they realize they're being shadowed by an FBI sniper. Clearly, this is meant to remain a closed case. The missing father was a charismatic, world-famous National Geographic photographer who had been in Chile during the overthrow of President Salvador Allende; eventually we learn that he had pictures that compromised the current government. Near the conclusion, the G-man tries to take them out, but the 68-year-old asthmatic Celine is also a quick draw and a crack shot, although to say more would be a spoiler. VERDICT Heller (The Painter) blends suspense with beautiful descriptive writing of both nature and civilization to create a winner.

Frequent Contributor

I read "Behind Closed Doors" recently. I was on the edge of my seat!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone, this April thread is closed for posting.

Please see the MAY thread. Thanks!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

deleted post

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett