Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

@LoriLori, thanks!  You are right.  I had a suspicion after I made a mistake but didn't go back to check.  Blame in on the flu who is resting with me too long😩!!!  LM

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, gee, I felt kinda special!  Someone was referencing meWoman Very Happy lol

Hope you feel better soon!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@chihuahuamom, you. have a great memory.  You are spot on ... I have been outside doing a spring garden cleanup and not reading as much this time of year.  I always check in though because I don't want to miss the recommendation for a great book!!!

@chihuahuamom@LoriLori I am so glad you both enjoyed the book.  I haven't read it yet but it is on my list.  I live in Nova Scotia but spent a great deal of time in Newfoundland work related.  I will request this at the library or check in at my bookstore.  Thanks for the reply.  LM

@Lilysmom

@chihuahuamom

@LoriLori

I read this book shortly after it was recommended here, although I don't remember who it was who recommended it. I LOVED THAT BOOK! I think I read it in one day or thereabouts. It was so heartening to read about how our "neighbors to the north" took care of hundreds (thousands?) of passengers who were grounded. What beautiful people they all were, opening up their homes and their town and their hearts. The personal stories broke my heart, but yet it gave strength as well, showing how the human spirit is always there, ready to help others in need.

I could read it again if I didn't have so many books to read!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, my We Were the Lucky Ones  just came in at the library. Made my  whole morning bright!

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline "We Were The Lucky Ones" is such a good book, I hope you enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@chihuahuamom, you. have a great memory.  You are spot on ... I have been outside doing a spring garden cleanup and not reading as much this time of year.  I always check in though because I don't want to miss the recommendation for a great book!!!

@chihuahuamom@LoriLori I am so glad you both enjoyed the book.  I haven't read it yet but it is on my list.  I live in Nova Scotia but spent a great deal of time in Newfoundland work related.  I will request this at the library or check in at my bookstore.  Thanks for the reply.  LM

@Lilysmom

@chihuahuamom

@LoriLori

I read this book shortly after it was recommended here, although I don't remember who it was who recommended it. I LOVED THAT BOOK! I think I read it in one day or thereabouts. It was so heartening to read about how our "neighbors to the north" took care of hundreds (thousands?) of passengers who were grounded. What beautiful people they all were, opening up their homes and their town and their hearts. The personal stories broke my heart, but yet it gave strength as well, showing how the human spirit is always there, ready to help others in need.

I could read it again if I didn't have so many books to read!

@chihuahuamom, hi! 

@abbalulu, making sure you see this one too LOL.

@Lilysmom, hope you feel better soon!

@sunala, I was the one who recommended it.   And it can't be said enough: 

Everyone, read "The Day the World Came to Town."  I can't imagine anyone not liking this book.  It's extraordinary.  The people of Gander and surroundings took the most amazing care of the strangers stranded there on 9/11, and of their animals stranded on the planes.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I just finished my latest book (at least latest one worth recommending) Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. 

"From the internationally bestselling author of The Reluctant Fundamentalist and How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia, a love story that unfolds in a world being irrevocably transformed by migration. In a country teetering on the brink of civil war, two young people meet--sensual, fiercely independent Nadia and gentle, restrained Saeed. They embark on a furtive love affair, thrust into premature intimacy by the unrest roiling their city. When it explodes, turning familiar streets into a patchwork of checkpoints and bomb blasts, they begin to hear whispers about doors--doors that can whisk people far away, if perilously and for a price. As violence and the threat of violence escalate, Nadia and Saeed decide that they no longer have a choice. Leaving their homeland and their old lives behind, they find a door and step through. Exit West is an epic compressed into a slender page-turner--both completely of our time and for all time, Mohsin Hamid's most ambitious and electrifying novel yet"-- Provided by publisher.

@DiAnne, thanks for mentioning this.  I read "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" and gave it five stars.  Ironic this is under "The Day the World Came to Town" since they're opposite ends of the spectrum.  Mohsin Hamid is incredibly gifted; he says so much with few words.  I have so many books they don't fit on the shelves right now but in time I will definitely read this one.

Valued Contributor

Loving "Letters from Paris" by Juliette Blackwell.  Interesting plot, likeable characters, and wonderful descriptions of Paris  and French country life.  You won't be disappointed!

Letters from Paris

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori so sweet!  Thank you.  Just a quick note to let you know I downloaded the book about Gander and 9/11 just now.  Looking forward to it!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Judaline "We Were The Lucky Ones" is such a good book, I hope you enjoy!

@CareBears 

@Judaline

I have We Were the Lucky Ones on my Kindle and will be starting it tonight. 

This afternoon I finished There was an Old Woman by Hallie Ephron. I enjoyed it pretty much until the last part of the book, which was way too rushed for me and somehow made no sense. I was disappointed, as I expected the ending to be as good as the rest of the book. Oh well. I still gave it 3 stars but I would have given it more. 

I've got several books on my Kindle from the library that I really want to read, including My Grandmother Asked me to Tell You She's Sorry, Mischling, The Dry, and We Were the Lucky Ones. Plus several others!

I love when I have a treasure of books and can't decide which one to read. 

Happy reading everyone!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett