Trusted Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

@LoriLori - thanks for the info!  Will tuck that away for the future....

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@smoky22 - according to the website Fantastic Fiiction, Saturday Requiem is the British title of the book Dark Saturday.  It was released in the UK months ahead of the July US release.  So, you get to read the book months ahead of the rest of us!  I haven't read any other Nicci French books.

Wow!  @dawg lover you've made my day!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

enjoyed
I Let You Go by Mackintosh

started
Black Book by James Patterson
(exclusive brothel/family, police and political intrigue/

library CDs)

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Super Contributor

I finished Death On the Nile (Agatha Christie) and it's even better than the movie. Yeah, that's usually the case, huh?! Smiley LOL That said, the movie has 3 of my all-time favorite actors: Bette Davis, Maggie Smith and Angela Lansbury. Smiley Happy 

And...for what it's worth, I've also ordered from Book Depository. They have awesome sales and you cannot beat free shipping! 

Not sure what I'll read next, but my Yankees are playing at the moment, so maybe I'll start a new book later this afternoon! 

Have a nice day!

Esteemed Contributor

I FINALLY finished The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street, by Susan Jane Gilman. Boy that was one long book, over 500 pages, of which 100 could have easily have been edited out. 

The beginning of the book was much better than the ending, but I can still only give it 3 stars. Had it been shorter, I may have gone for 4, but then again, maybe not. 

The main character, Malka/Lillian, was not a loveable character. She had a very tough life and she clawed her way to the top, but she stepped on a lot of people along the way. 

She was reminding me very much of Leona Helmsley. I have a feeling the author was thinking of her as she created this character. 

On to bigger and better. I just started The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti. I'm enjoying it already!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

I FINALLY finished The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street, by Susan Jane Gilman. Boy that was one long book, over 500 pages, of which 100 could have easily have been edited out. 

The beginning of the book was much better than the ending, but I can still only give it 3 stars. Had it been shorter, I may have gone for 4, but then again, maybe not. 

The main character, Malka/Lillian, was not a loveable character. She had a very tough life and she clawed her way to the top, but she stepped on a lot of people along the way. 

She was reminding me very much of Leona Helmsley. I have a feeling the author was thinking of her as she created this character. 

On to bigger and better. I just started The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti. I'm enjoying it already!

I guess we disagree about Susan Jane Gilman's The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street.  I read it when it first came out and I gave it 5 stars!  Good point re Leona Helmsley! 

Honored Contributor

My Name is Lucy Barton, by Elizabeth Strout;

The Hope Chest, by Viola Shipman;

The Trophy Child, by Paula Daly.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 How did you like "The Hope Chest", I have this on request and was wondering what your thoughts are?

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@beckyb1012 How did you like "The Hope Chest", I have this on request and was wondering what your thoughts are?

@CareBears I am enjoying it very much and it as touched my heart.  It is sad and happy at the same time.  You will not be disappointed.  Families come in all shapes and sizes, thank goodness. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

@smoky22 - according to the website Fantastic Fiiction, Saturday Requiem is the British title of the book Dark Saturday.  It was released in the UK months ahead of the July US release.  So, you get to read the book months ahead of the rest of us!  I haven't read any other Nicci French books.

Wow!  @dawg lover you've made my day!

I'm so glad!  Enjoy!