Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

@dawg lover wrote:
@smoky22 - just wanted to let you know that the latest Nicci French book, "DARK SATURDAY" will be out July 11th and there will be a Sunday book too, in 2018.

@dawg lover  I'm a little confused about the "Saturday" books.  I knew Dark Saturday was coming out later this year, but my library has a book called Saturday Requiem, which has Frieda Klein in it.  It may not be part of the series, more like a stand-alone book.  And it's not available as an ebook, not even on Amazon.

Have you read any of the Nicci French stand-alone books?  I will need something after July when I go into Frieda Klein withdrawal.

Honored Contributor

I should always have such problems LOL but Elizabeth Strout's new book "Anything is Possible", which has great (Olive Kitteridge-y) reviews is arriving on the same day as my secret husband Frederik Backman's "Beartown." 

Which to read!!!!  Do I start with the heavy entree (Strout) or eat dessert first (Backman)?

Super Contributor

I enjoyed the 

Death is Like a Box of Chocolates by Aarons

(Kindle eBook cozy mystery)

I am starting the

Town in a Maple Madness by Haywood

(Kindle eBook cozy mystery)

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Super Contributor

@LoriLori Dessert first. No question.

:-D
Respected Contributor

@bella-luna wrote:
@LoriLori Dessert first. No question.

:-D

@bella-luna

@LoriLori

Definitely.  I agree!

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - according to the website Fantastic Fiiction, Saturday Requiem is the British title of the book Dark Saturday.  It was released in the UK months ahead of the July US release.  So, you get to read the book months ahead of the rest of us!  I haven't read any other Nicci French books.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  Reading your post about Frederik gave me an idea for a novel-woman falls in love with an author, for his caring, moving, compassionate writing. She thinks of him day and night-she must meet him. She goes to a book signing, they talk, he asks to see more of her (ok, not literally). They date, he charms her, they marry. And then the tragedy begins. He turns on her. He is not the man she thought he was. He is greedy, selfish, uncaring. In other words, he's a brute. He mistreats her. She can't leave him. The books! What about the books, Frederik! You can't tell me you are the same man who wrote them. Ha! He says, that!! I was an actor before I became a famous author. It was easy. You had money, I wanted money. From then on, well, you can just imagine. I feel a Carol Burnett sketch coming on with Carol doing her famous Joan Crawford. My tongue is in my cheek, please forgive...............

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori  Reading your post about Frederik gave me an idea for a novel-woman falls in love with an author, for his caring, moving, compassionate writing. She thinks of him day and night-she must meet him. She goes to a book signing, they talk, he asks to see more of her (ok, not literally). They date, he charms her, they marry. And then the tragedy begins. He turns on her. He is not the man she thought he was. He is greedy, selfish, uncaring. In other words, he's a brute. He mistreats her. She can't leave him. The books! What about the books, Frederik! You can't tell me you are the same man who wrote them. Ha! He says, that!! I was an actor before I became a famous author. It was easy. You had money, I wanted money. From then on, well, you can just imagine. I feel a Carol Burnett sketch coming on with Carol doing her famous Joan Crawford. My tongue is in my cheek, please forgive...............

@Judaline, hahahahahaha.  I thought you were headed to a "Misery" scenario so it was a delightful surprise that yours was wholly original. 

Here's the original fantasy, where me meets me (where? in Publix?), falls in love and leaves his wife and we live happily ever after and he gives the best back rubs ever and is even more wonderful than he seems in his books.

And here's an alternate one:  I meet him (in Target?  Marshall's?) and he is as wonderful as I expected, and he falls for me instantly.  He pursues me.  One day he tries to kiss me and that's when I knee him in the groin and say, "Hey!  You're a married man.  Act like one.  I'll keep loving your books but don't come near me again." 

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@smoky22 - according to the website Fantastic Fiiction, Saturday Requiem is the British title of the book Dark Saturday.  It was released in the UK months ahead of the July US release.  So, you get to read the book months ahead of the rest of us!  I haven't read any other Nicci French books.

@dawg lover, I know almost everyone around here reads e-books and I don't but maybe you don't know this and maybe it will be a helpful tip for you or someone: 

If you really, really, want to read a book that's been published in the UK and not here you can buy it at Book Depository UK.  They ship every book for free (and enclose the coolest book marks, always designed by their readers).  And Amazon bought it a few years ago so you can shop with confidence.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just drop your handkerchief? It worked in all the old movies. I still carry one. I guess you could drop it in Publix if you wanted, but egad! There must be a more romantic place. I guess you would just need to find out his haunts and take it from there. You know, like the groupies raiding the hotel where the Beatles were staying. Only you would play the nonchalant card which no groupie ever heard of Woman Wink