Valued Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? APRIL 2017

Finished Without Warning by Joel Rosenberg.  Great read-lots of twists and turns, the biggest at the end.  Loved it!

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

I know you'll love it @Yahooey

I'm reading Little Girl Gone by Gerry Schmitt. Did everyone but me know her pen name is Laura Childs, author of our fav Tea Shop mysteries?! And, let me just say, wow! Talk about different! 

There was someone that was raving about Little Girl Gone - it is on my HOLD list at the library. There is a long line for it. @DukeBlueNan I didn't know Laura Childs wrote it, super cool and can't wait.

Trusted Contributor

And, @Yahooey, there's a second one with same main character, Afton Tangler. I need to read something a bit lighter first. So, I'm reading Silence of the Lamps by Karen Rose Smith. (I do love those titles!)

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

And, @Yahooey, there's a second one with same main character, Afton Tangler. I need to read something a bit lighter first. So, I'm reading Silence of the Lamps by Karen Rose Smith. (I do love those titles!)

@DukeBlueNan what are those about?

Trusted Contributor

@Yahooey A Cozy Mystery series about a woman who stages homes to sell.  Always a murder, of course! That's really nutshelling it! Easy reads. 

Honored Contributor

My library newsletter today describes a book I think I will request.  It's called, The Baker's Secret about a baker in a French Village during WWll who must bake bread for the Nazis who inhabit the town, but the baker secretly saves some dough for the villagers, and bakes them bread, too. Sounds like it might get very interesting, if not dangerous! Goodreads has good reviews. Stephen P. Kiernan is the author.

Trusted Contributor

I want to read more historical fiction and this book caught my attention at my library's new books for March, The Confessions of Young Nero by Margaret George.  I knew I was going to like it after reading the summary and excerpt from the first page.  I can't put it down!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished, FROM SAND AND ASH by Amy Harmon , ...It is a difficult book to read as it is set in Italy during the invasion by the Nazis.  The two main protagonists are a young boy from N.J. who has come to Italy to live with his Catholic grandparents who are the caretakers for an estate owned by a Jewish family with a young girl his age. The two become close friends and more.  I don't want to give away any of the details, but it is a beautiful, and heartbreaking story of love, loss and the horrors of war.   As I read it, I thought of how many people in today's political havoc in Syria, etc. are being displaced and having their lives, loves and families torn apart by war.  It never seems to end.  

Honored Contributor

Every Wild Heart, by Meg Donohue

Leave Me, by Gayle Forman

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I just finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty last night.  What a major turn of events near the end of the book.  I loved it and didn't have a clue what was coming.  I highly recommend the book and the author.