Honored Contributor

Re: What FICTION Author Influenced You The Most?

[ Edited ]

Could be Herman Hesse. His book, Siddartha, got me interested in Hinduism and Buddhism and led to my interest in the history of belief systems. 

Could also be Twain, Poe, Hemingway and Dickens. These authors took my mind to other places and other times. This led to the expansion of my thinking and a betterment of my ability to evaluate everything. Desiree, by Selinko, and all the other authors of historical fiction have done the same thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Jan Karon and Karen Kingsbury for the only thing that matters is faith and family.  The rest is just unnecessary worry and window dressing.

Joan Meldicott teaching me that aging to an "older woman" is quite a beautiful journey and something to look forward to daily.

@beckyb1012 - I loved Joan Medlicott's books. I read her entire Covington series, although I discovered they were going downhill with each successive book. I enjoyed reading about some of the other characters from their town, and liked some of their recipes as well. There was a cake that sounded so good, but I can't remember what it was. Also I remember a meatball stuffed with prunes recipe which sounded good, but Mister Sunny wouldn't even look at them, let alone eat them. That's why I don't experiment often Woman Very Happy 

I'm guessing that Joan Medlicott has retired, or maybe she's no longer with us. I'll check it out. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Jan Karon and Karen Kingsbury for the only thing that matters is faith and family.  The rest is just unnecessary worry and window dressing.

Joan Meldicott teaching me that aging to an "older woman" is quite a beautiful journey and something to look forward to daily.

@beckyb1012 - I loved Joan Medlicott's books. I read her entire Covington series, although I discovered they were going downhill with each successive book. I enjoyed reading about some of the other characters from their town, and liked some of their recipes as well. There was a cake that sounded so good, but I can't remember what it was. Also I remember a meatball stuffed with prunes recipe which sounded good, but Mister Sunny wouldn't even look at them, let alone eat them. That's why I don't experiment often Woman Very Happy 

I'm guessing that Joan Medlicott has retired, or maybe she's no longer with us. I'll check it out. 

I googled her from time to time and did so last year and found a recent obit (Jan. 2020) for her husband.  He was well into his 90's and it stated his last years were tending to his dear wife Joan suffering from Alzheimer.  From what I could tell she is still definitely alive but has been ill for many many years.  I miss her dearly.   It was a three layer cake I believe with several colors and sort of named like Lady Fingers or something.  Then there were Grace's sugar cookies.  That prune recipe sounded so good and I wanted to try it.  The name was Toad or Mole in a hole, something gross for sure!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I googled her from time to time and did so last year and found a recent obit (Jan. 2020) for her husband.  He was well into his 90's and it stated his last years were tending to his dear wife Joan suffering from Alzheimer.  From what I could tell she is still definitely alive but has been ill for many many years.  I miss her dearly.   It was a three layer cake I believe with several colors and sort of named like Lady Fingers or something.  Then there were Grace's sugar cookies.  That prune recipe sounded so good and I wanted to try it.  The name was Toad or Mole in a hole, something gross for sure!!

@beckyb1012 - thank you for the heads up on Joan and her husband. He sounds like he was a real pi$$er! She is very lucky to have had him as her caregiver for all those years. It's so sad that she is suffering with Alzheimer's and no longer has her honey to take care of her. 

I feel very sad now and feel like reading all the Covington books again. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett