Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

After watching The Grantchester Mysteries on PBS last year, I read the first and the second of the Sydney Chambers books (I think there are 4 now).  There are some significant differences in the books and I really preferred the PBS version.  Plus I love the way James Norton plays Sydney on TV.  I think there will be a 2nd season of the Grantchester Mysteries and I am curious how much more they intend to depart from the original stories.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit@smoky22, I liked the TV series also.  I haven't read the books.

Respected Contributor

I finished The Good Neighbor by A.J. Banner today. It wasn't that bad - very quick to read. Another free Kindle book.

Now onto a book I know will be good - Obsession In Death by JD Robb.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Contributor

I was reading <Outliers>, which is a really good one! Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I am reading THE NIGHTINGALE by Kristen Hannah.  Certainly one of the greatest books I have ever read.  I would say it is a combination  of historical fiction, romance and about two sisters living in France during World War II.  They are very different in personality and temperment and how they both deal with the challenges of a world at war.  I would highly recommend this book.  

Trusted Contributor

I have read all 4 of the Grantchester books, and the second one is least favorite. Books 3 & 4 are better than #2, IMO. Thanks to the tv show, I have an image in my mind of what the characters look like. I look forward to Season 2 as well. Lainey, the next J D Robb book comes out very soon, called "DEVOTED IN DEATH". Can't wait for that one! I am about to start the new Danielle Steel book, "UNDERCOVER."
Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Wow, September is starting off with a bang!  Some good books here already.  My list just gets longer.  I'll have to put the gardens down for the winter early and get started on my list.  Happy reading everyone.  LM

PS Almost finished THE NATURE OF THE BEAST by Louise Penny.  Will review when done.

Lilysmom, I finished The Nature of the Beast over the weekend.  I enjoyed it as I

did all the previous Inspector Gamache mysteries.  Of course, I think I'm more eager to revisit the characters of Three Pines than to find out whodunit.  Penny's characters are like old friends; you may not see them very often, but you you can reconnect effortlessly.

Honored Contributor

@kekes wrote:

I am reading THE NIGHTINGALE by Kristen Hannah.  Certainly one of the greatest books I have ever read.  I would say it is a combination  of historical fiction, romance and about two sisters living in France during World War II.  They are very different in personality and temperment and how they both deal with the challenges of a world at war.  I would highly recommend this book.  

Waiting patiently for my book to become available-the only reason for the patiently is because I'm back loaded on  my holds-three in front of me to finish, and I won't pull the bookmark on any of them.

Trusted Contributor

A note for Smoky re: the Inspector Wexford books we are both reading. After you finish #10, A SLEEPING LIFE, read her book of short stories next, called MEANS OF EVIL, before reading #11, DEATH NOTES. The short story book shows something very important happening to Mike Burden, and then the story is continued in DEATH NOTES, as though you should already know this information. I was a bit confused, until I saw that I had missed out on this book that comes in the middle. Hope you are enjoying them; they are definitely getting better!
Esteemed Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

Wow, September is starting off with a bang!  Some good books here already.  My list just gets longer.  I'll have to put the gardens down for the winter early and get started on my list.  Happy reading everyone.  LM

PS Almost finished THE NATURE OF THE BEAST by Louise Penny.  Will review when done.

Lilysmom, I finished The Nature of the Beast over the weekend.  I enjoyed it as I

did all the previous Inspector Gamache mysteries.  Of course, I think I'm more eager to revisit the characters of Three Pines than to find out whodunit.  Penny's characters are like old friends; you may not see them very often, but you you can reconnect effortlessl

@pateacher, see my stand alone thread with the spoiler alert.  To others, only read if you have finished the book..potential spoilers.  LM