Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

@pateacher, I am writing these two down as they look good!  LM 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@pateacher, I am writing these two down as they look good!  LM 

Lilysmom, I've not been disappointed by either of these  authors.  If you haven't read them yet, you  have many more of their books to enjoy. Brooks, especially, has a wide variety of topics in her works.  I particularly enjoyed

The People of the Book. It traces all of the people who took part in the printing, illustrating, and binding of a Bible, the famed Sarajevo Haggadah.  Doesn't sound too good from this description, but I loved it!!!!

Another good read is March about the father of Louisa May Alcott's Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy.  

OK so I will stob blathering on.  I will be interested in your take on the new books.

My dilemma with the upcoming books is buying or trying to find one available on OverDrive.  I spend way too much on ebooks, but they are my only vice.  Well, books and QVC, that is!

Frequent Contributor

Well I finished BLACK EYED SUSANS and I am sorry to say I can't recommend it.  I couldn't wait to read it - it sounded so good but it was a disappointment.  I only finished it because I wanted to know what happened.   Hopefully onto something better!

Frequent Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

I, too, am in a bit of a reading funk.  Maybe because two of my favorite authors, Kate Morton and Geraldine Brooks have books coming out in October and I feel like I am merely marking time with the Karin Fossum books I have been reading!

Kate Morton's book is Lake House.

Brooks' is The Secret Chord.

I have read and enjoyed all of the books these two ladies have written.

Lake House was already on my to-read list but I looked up the author and there are more books by her I want to read - thanks for the recommendation!

Valued Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

I, too, am in a bit of a reading funk.  Maybe because two of my favorite authors, Kate Morton and Geraldine Brooks have books coming out in October and I feel like I am merely marking time with the Karin Fossum books I have been reading!

Kate Morton's book is Lake House.

Brooks' is The Secret Chord.

I have read and enjoyed all of the books these two ladies have written.

Lake House was already on my to-read list but I looked up the author and there are more books by her I want to read - thanks for the recommendation!

SAGal:  Your welcome!  I hope you like her books as much as I have.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

Well I finished BLACK EYED SUSANS and I am sorry to say I can't recommend it.  I couldn't wait to read it - it sounded so good but it was a disappointment.  I only finished it because I wanted to know what happened.   Hopefully onto something better!

@SAGal, oh darn!  Here comes the speed reader😃!

Honored Contributor

Oh, great, two of my holds just came in-been waiting forever. I only read at night and I'll never make it-will probably have to get back on the list by declining one of them. Which one? A Man Called Ove or  The Nature of the Beast? I think I'm going with getting Louise Penny later. And my Stephanie Plum is coming out Nov 17th. Oh, boy, happiness is!!! But that's just a two dayer. They go way too fast and I wait all year for it.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

The Bible!  I recently decided to read it from cover-to-cover.  I'm giving myself a year to do it but I hope I complete it before a year.  I don't want to speed-read through it, I want to take my time and think about it as I go.  Hope I can do it!  Smiley Happy

I read The One Year Bible in 11 months.  I read the daily reading first before reading in a novel everyday. 

Good for you both! I tried reading it cover to cover once-didn't work. I now just read the Bible 'books' that I want to. I know it's the first question God's going to ask me-"Have you read my book?" so you'd better believe I'm reading it. I feel so much closer to Him having read it.

We're currently studying the book of ISAIAH. This Old Testament book is amazingly relevant to today's world. 

Respected Contributor

Finished Sarah Pekkanen's Things You Won't Say.  It was a good book but not one of my favorites by her.

Starting Jennifer Weiner's Who Do You Love next.

Super Contributor

1- Read TILL THE WELL RUNS DRY by LAUREN FRANCIS-SHARMA, it´s about a married couple in Trinidad.  Loved it.

2- THE BEGINNER´s GOODBYE by ANNE TYLER. First book by this author & I have to say I¨m impressed.  

3- THE LAST PARADISE by TATJANA SOLI about a married couple from CA, one opened a restarurant & the othe is a lawyer.  Wasted my time.  Horrible, horiible book. 

4- QUEEN BEE GOES HOME AGAIN by HAYWOOD SMITH about a 60 yr old woman who lost her job in the recession & moved back home with her 90 yr old mother.  Liked it.  Some reviewers on Goodreads didn´t like it because it has some religious themes but even as a non-believer it didn´t bother me.