Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

Just noticed Amazon is selling the KINDLE version of THE ORPHANS OF RACE POINT for $1.99 - this is a really good book if you haven't read it.

Valued Contributor

Finished Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz WIlliams... have to agree with the mixed reviews I've read on this thread.  It was a quick read and satisfied my curiosity about the Schuyler girl trilogy.

Valued Contributor

Starting The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure.  

In 1942 Paris, gifted architect Lucien Bernard accepts a commission that will bring him a great deal of money - and maybe get him killed. But if he's clever enough, he'll avoid any trouble. All he has to do is design a secret hiding place for a wealthy Jewish man, a space so invisible that even the most determined German officer won't find it. He sorely needs the money, and outwitting the Nazis who have occupied his beloved city is a challenge he can't resist.

But when one of his hiding spaces fails horribly, and the problem of where to hide a Jew becomes terribly personal, Lucien can no longer ignore what's at stake. The Paris Architect asks us to consider what we owe each other, and just how far we'll go to make things right.

Written by an architect whose knowledge imbues every page, this story becomes more gripping with every soul hidden and every life saved.

Thought it might be interesting to read a novel written by an architect.

Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

In 1942 Paris, gifted architect Lucien Bernard accepts a commission that will bring him a great deal of money - and maybe get him killed. But if he's clever enough, he'll avoid any trouble. All he has to do is design a secret hiding place for a wealthy Jewish man, a space so invisible that even the most determined German officer won't find it. He sorely needs the money, and outwitting the Nazis who have occupied his beloved city is a challenge he can't resist.

But when one of his hiding spaces fails horribly, and the problem of where to hide a Jew becomes terribly personal, Lucien can no longer ignore what's at stake. The Paris Architect asks us to consider what we owe each other, and just how far we'll go to make things right.

Written by an architect whose knowledge imbues every page, this story becomes more gripping with every soul hidden and every life saved.

It's a wonderful book. I loved it. I got the book suggested by this forum. The author just published his second book-not WWll stuff so I wouldn't be interested.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading several books.  The first was A GOOD KILLING, a story about a girl who represents her younger sister in a murder defense.  It was just ok.

I read THE GIRLS OF AUGUST by Ann Rivers Siddon.  I enjoy her books and this one did not disappoint.  I was actually looking for COLONY by her but couldn't seem to find it.  This is worth a read.

I also just finished MAKE ME, a new one in the Jack Reacher series and this was good as well.  

I have just started UNDER A DARK SUMMER SKY recommended here.

Happy reading!  LM

Frequent Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

It's a wonderful book. I loved it. I got the book suggested by this forum. The author just published his second book-not WWll stuff so I wouldn't be interested.

Hi Judaline - have you read The Lost Wife?  Or The Nightingale?  I PTB on Nightingale once but the second time around I absolutely loved it - great story.  The beginning is still a little weak but the rest more than makes up for it!

Honored Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

Hi Judaline - have you read The Lost Wife?  Or The Nightingale?  I PTB on Nightingale once but the second time around I absolutely loved it - great story.  The beginning is still a little weak but the rest more than makes up for it!

I am 3/4 of the way thru the Nightingale and also loving it. I didn't mind the beginning-the scenery was pretty, lol. Anyway, everyone said keep going so I did and it got so exciting I couldn't sleep. Debates on tonite so I probably won't read and can get some sleep!

I will check out The Lost Wife unless it's the one I think it is. Thank you and have you read Once We Were Brothers? WWll stuff and great.

Contributor

I'm reading <Outliers>, it's really a great book. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

Judaline:  I agree! I'm not quite finished.  I read well into the night to find out whether Lucien would succeed.  WIll definitely finish this morning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22, @Vamp has already given you a great answer re "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks."  I will just add my two cents:  Reading about this mother it is my understanding she does not at this time want her teenage son to know that women have vaginas....The book is amazing and I highly recommend it to everyone here.  It's mind-blowing.  And ironically it was criticized for going too easy on some of the characters, especially the cheating husband.  So any mature teenager should easily handle the book and since we all have some of this woman's cells in our body, it is worth everyone's time to read it.