Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- October 2015

[ Edited ]

I finished Speaker of Mandarin (Inspector Wexford) and give it a solid 4 stars.  I'm really enjoying these.

So many of my holds became available all of a sudden.  Isn't that the way it always is.  I have Nature of the Beast (Louise Penny), Circling The Sun (Paula McLain), The Girls of Atomic City (Denise Kiernan, subtitled, The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War 2), The Hanged Man (P. N. Elrod, subtitled, Her Majesty's Psychic Service) and Death At La Fenice (Donna Leon).  What's a girl to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm reading "How the Light Gets In."   "All the Light We Cannot See."   I know I'm the last one to read this book LOL.  But I'm glad I watied because I had to follow OVE with something extraordinary.  

When I gave Ove away this weekend (to my widowed aunt who remains very appreciative of the great books I give her) it was like my fingertips didn't want to let go of it.  Maybe I'll buy myself another copy.

Trusted Contributor

I was looking for something different to read so I chose "A Man Called Ove" and "Black-Eyed Susans".  Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

Now, which to start first?!

Trusted Contributor

Just finished I AM PILGRIM.  One of the best written books I've read.  Fabulous.  Sort of like in the Sidney Sheldon style.   And started Rhys Bowen's HER ROYAL SPYNESS. Very good.  And I just discovered  the "flip page" function on my Kindle.  Which is the thing I wanted for so long.  DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW IF that has it been there all along or was it just added?  I flip pages whenever I read.  Makes me wonder what else the cute little thing can do...

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I'm reading "How the Light Gets In."  I know I'm the last one to read this book LOL.  But I'm glad I watied because I had to follow OVE with something extraordinary.  

When I gave Ove away this weekend (to my widowed aunt who remains very appreciative of the great books I give her) it was like my fingertips didn't want to let go of it.  Maybe I'll buy myself another copy.

Lori, since you've praised the book so highly, I had to put A Man Called Ove on waitlist.  I hope I like it as much as you did.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan, I loved I AM PILGRIM too.  LM

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

I finished Speaker of Mandarin (Inspector Wexford) and give it a solid 4 stars.  I'm really enjoying these.

So many of my holds became available all of a sudden.  Isn't that the way it always is.  I have Nature of the Beast (Louise Penny), Circling The Sun (Paula McLain), The Girls of Atomic City (Denise Kiernan, subtitled, The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War 2), The Hanged Man (P. N. Elrod, subtitled, Her Majesty's Psychic Service) and Death At La Fenice (Donna Leon).  What's a girl to do.

I hate when that happens. I agree about  Inspector Wexford. Loved him.

I read the Atomic City one-I PTBM. I just didn't feel like reading of each girl's life and where they came from and why, etc. It just wasn't what I wanted. Maybe save that one till last, lol. I like reading about girls like in Bletchley Circle. 

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

I'm reading "How the Light Gets In."   "All the Light We Cannot See."   I know I'm the last one to read this book LOL.  But I'm glad I watied because I had to follow OVE with something extraordinary.  

Lori, since you've praised the book so highly, I had to put A Man Called Ove on waitlist.  I hope I like it as much as you did.  Heart

Quoted my post to fix the name of the book I'm reading but while I'm here, Smoky, I think you will love it and look forward to your thoughts!  If it stands the test of time it will become one of my favorite books, ever.

Esteemed Contributor

My e-library has I am Pilgrim but there's always a wait for it. I'm going to reserve it and read it. I had it once and started reading it, and lost interest because the first scene was so bloody. 

I'll try again because of all your glowing praise. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Put me down as a fan of A MAN NAMED OVE. What a tender book. The first two chapters were so like my husband that I laughed out loud. Such a stubborn man whose good heart slipped out even as he tried to suppress it. He hD delightful neighbors too and I find myself looking for Saabs on the highway