Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2015

Well I finished THE SILENT SISTER - I wanted to PTB but I ended up staying with it until the end.  It just wasn't very good - I was disappointed.  I won't be reading any more books by this author.  The story was OK but the book just got boring - not sure why but I think I just didn't care about the characters.  Oh well - on to better books!  HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Valued Contributor

@bella-luna wrote:

I finished Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party and I loved it. It's classic Poirot...I do love the way he uses his words. Smiley Very Happy

I'm now a couple chapters into Gathering Prey from John Sanford. Lucas Davenport is one of my favorites, along with Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly) and John Corey (Nelson DeMille). 

Here's a snippet from Amazon:

They call them Travelers. They move from city to city, panhandling, committing no crimes—they just like to stay on the move. And now somebody is killing them.

Lucas Davenport’s adopted daughter, Letty, is home from college when she gets a phone call from a woman Traveler she’d befriended in San Francisco. The woman thinks somebody’s killing her friends, she’s afraid she knows who it is, and now her male companion has gone missing. She’s hiding out in North Dakota, and she doesn’t know what to do.

Letty tells Lucas she’s going to get her, and, though he suspects Letty’s getting played, he volunteers to go with her. When he hears the woman’s story, though, he begins to think there’s something in it. Little does he know. In the days to come, he will embark upon an odyssey through a subculture unlike any he has ever seen, a trip that will not only put the two of them in danger—but just may change the course of his life.

Hey, Miss Bella!

I sure saw enough panhandlers in SF and brutally honest ones, at that!

"Need  money for weed" was a popular cardboard sign.  I got a laugh from the one man who needed money to participate in an "alcohol" study.

I'll be interested to hear about the subculture in this book.

Super Contributor

Hey @pateacher! How's tricks?! Smiley Very Happy Yeah, ya gotta love the way some people ask for help. Nobody in my area is quite that creative. haha My first impression is that the "leader" of one of the Travelers groups is a bit Manson-like. Yikes! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

Well I finished THE SILENT SISTER - I wanted to PTB but I ended up staying with it until the end.  It just wasn't very good - I was disappointed.  I won't be reading any more books by this author.  The story was OK but the book just got boring - not sure why but I think I just didn't care about the characters.  Oh well - on to better books!  HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy The Silent Sister. I read it not too long ago and really liked it, so much so that I went on to read Necessary Lies. It's an interesting look into the Eugenics programs that were practiced here in the US not that long ago which was shocking to me. I'm currently reading The Good Father but am switching between a few so haven't yet given it my full attention. I hope you find find a book you like better for your next read. Happy weekend to you too!

*All the titles mentioned are written by Diane Chamberlain

Trusted Contributor

I know this group concentrates more on current books, but I have been totally enthralled by Herman Wouk's "The Hope" followed by "The Glory."  The Hope begins with the founding of the modern state of Israel and goes through the Sinai Campaign and the Six Day War.  The Glory continues with the same characters through the Yom Kippur War and its aftermath.  It's been a long time since I've read any book I was so eager to get back to when I had to put it down.  As well as an "up close and personal" glimpse of How did they DO that? -- these books have given me what I love most about fiction: the chance to live in a completely different world and experience a totally different lifeWhat now?  What then?  What next?  and Whew!

Honored Contributor

Have you read The Winds of War? My favorite Wouk book. It has a revered place on my book shelf. There was a sequel which was just OK.

Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

@bella-luna wrote:

I finished Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party and I loved it. It's classic Poirot...I do love the way he uses his words. Smiley Very Happy

I'm now a couple chapters into Gathering Prey from John Sanford. Lucas Davenport is one of my favorites, along with Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly) and John Corey (Nelson DeMille). 

Here's a snippet from Amazon:

They call them Travelers. They move from city to city, panhandling, committing no crimes—they just like to stay on the move. And now somebody is killing them.

Lucas Davenport’s adopted daughter, Letty, is home from college when she gets a phone call from a woman Traveler she’d befriended in San Francisco. The woman thinks somebody’s killing her friends, she’s afraid she knows who it is, and now her male companion has gone missing. She’s hiding out in North Dakota, and she doesn’t know what to do.

Letty tells Lucas she’s going to get her, and, though he suspects Letty’s getting played, he volunteers to go with her. When he hears the woman’s story, though, he begins to think there’s something in it. Little does he know. In the days to come, he will embark upon an odyssey through a subculture unlike any he has ever seen, a trip that will not only put the two of them in danger—but just may change the course of his life.

Good synopsis. Don't think I would even have glanced at this one but now I'm a little interested. The characters you mentioned above are some of my favorites. Unfortunately two of my other favorites seem to be a thing of the past. Alex McKnight mysteries by Steve Hamilton and Joe Rizzo books by Lou Manfredo. They were so good. Oh, well, onward and upward.

Super Contributor

@Judaline Thanks! I have a tendency to become attatched to certain characters - haha! I have not read anything from Steve Hamilton or Lou Manfredo, so thanks for mentioning them. I have read the Bosch and Corey books in order, but I have only read a few of the Prey books - and have read them randomly (I take what I can get, downloading from my library). Smiley Very Happy I used to love the Kay Scarpetta books from Patricia Cornwell, but the last one I read was Trace, I think, and it just didn't grab me, so I kinda gave up on her. Smiley Indifferent I also enjoy the Kinsey Millhone series from Sue Grafton. I started reading them in order, but then began to skip around and as I'm typing, I can't remember the last one in that series that I read! Thank goodness for Goodreads where I can keep track - haha! 

Have a great day!

Valued Contributor

Someone here recommended The Scavenger's Daughters, by Kay Bratt (I think it was here...lol) so I picked it as my one a month free read through Amazon Prime...it was really good and turned out to be a pretty fast read.   I seem drawn to stories about China, the why of which is a curiosity to me, and have read every one of Lisa See's books, enjoying all but the last one, China Dolls, which I found disappointing.  I got through it but it wasn't as good as the others before it.

Next up is A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, started it a week or so ago but put it dowm to read the The Scavenger's Daughter...going back to it today.

Maria

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Have you read The Winds of War? My favorite Wouk book. It has a revered place on my book shelf. There was a sequel which was just OK.

@Judaline, the move The Winds of War was very good also.  LM