Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2015

@donuts wrote:

'THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN".............they are making it into a movie..........I wanted to read it first...........its a little tough to get thru, as its a little "eerie" and each chapter is written by and about each of the different characters, hence, a little difficult to follow.......its working up to a very eerie mystery or surprise ending..........I'm determined to finish it !!!!

I didn't like it at all. I PTBM quite early. I think the movie would be pretty boring. But that's just me. When I think of what they did to Serena! Such a good book, such a bad movie.

Esteemed Contributor

I finish "Girl in the Spider Web". I didn't dislike it, I just agree with some of the other comments about it. Not enough Salander and it's been so long since I've read the original trilogy, that I wasn't invested in the characters. Of which there were many - I understand Sony bought the rights and maybe a movie will be easier to follow. I got the main characters down pat - just didn't always know who their or characters that were referenced were.

But, I just started "Ove" (32%% done) and am loving it. It's actually why I'm posting now - just to say how much I'm enjoying it and to thank those who mentioned it. I so want this made into a movie!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished an old Janet Evanovich book Full Bloom. It was comedy, mystery.  Sort of silly.

Onto Verbena by Nanci Kincaid.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego, A MAN CALLED OVE would make a great movie!  Also, I think I would enjoy a movie of THE GIRL IN THE SPIDERS WEB more than the book too.  LM

PS, now reading THE SILENT SISTER and have reloaded A CAREER OF EVIL after passing over it as I thought I had already read it.  I love late fall/winter because I read more after the garden gets finished.  The trees are still loaded with leaves so there is a lot to do before I hang up the gardening gloves☺️.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom I know what you mean about garden chores.  I still have a lot to do.  We've had unusually warm weather lately and the trees still have such colorful leaves.  They were late turning this year.

I'm still waiting for A Man Called Ove to become available.  Only two more people ahead of me now.  It keeps getting such great reviews.

I finished The Veiled One and absolutely loved it.  ( I know, I hated her last book).  This one is so wonderfully crafted and clever.  And she presents not just an insightful psychological story, but the writing itself is full of beauty.  This is my favorite of the Wexford series so far. 

Frequent Contributor

Lilysmom - what do you know?  I'm also reading THE SILENT SISTER.  Have you read any other books by her?  I was going to PTB this morning as I'm getting bored but I!ll keep on a little longer to see what happens!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

Lilysmom - what do you know?  I'm also reading THE SILENT SISTER.  Have you read any other books by her?  I was going to PTB this morning as I'm getting bored but I!ll keep on a little longer to see what happens!

@SAGal, I did something I rarely do.  I was bored also.  I skipped 50 pages, didn't feel like I missed a thing so I skipped 100 pages and read the last twenty so I'm done haha.  I recommend you read the last twenty and PTB😩!!!  If you want to PTB now I'll tell you in a spoiler what happened. LM

Esteemed Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@Lilysmom I know what you mean about garden chores.  I still have a lot to do.  We've had unusually warm weather lately and the trees still have such colorful leaves.  They were late turning this year.

@smoky22, we have many old oak trees and while I love their majestic drape, I hate those leaves with a passion!  They never break down.  Enough said before I get directed to the gardening forum. 🙂  Happy reading.  LM

Honored Contributor

@AlterEgo@Lilysmom, I would never want Ove made into a movie!  I think it's one of those books that could never be captured properly!

I felt the same way about "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" -- another clever and original novel I adore -- that it can never be captured in a movie.  It was made into a successful stage play that doesn't follow the book but supposedly captures the spirit of it very well.

Super Contributor

I finished Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party and I loved it. It's classic Poirot...I do love the way he uses his words. Smiley Very Happy

I'm now a couple chapters into Gathering Prey from John Sanford. Lucas Davenport is one of my favorites, along with Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly) and John Corey (Nelson DeMille). 

Here's a snippet from Amazon:

They call them Travelers. They move from city to city, panhandling, committing no crimes—they just like to stay on the move. And now somebody is killing them.

Lucas Davenport’s adopted daughter, Letty, is home from college when she gets a phone call from a woman Traveler she’d befriended in San Francisco. The woman thinks somebody’s killing her friends, she’s afraid she knows who it is, and now her male companion has gone missing. She’s hiding out in North Dakota, and she doesn’t know what to do.

Letty tells Lucas she’s going to get her, and, though he suspects Letty’s getting played, he volunteers to go with her. When he hears the woman’s story, though, he begins to think there’s something in it. Little does he know. In the days to come, he will embark upon an odyssey through a subculture unlike any he has ever seen, a trip that will not only put the two of them in danger—but just may change the course of his life.