Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2015

@SydneyH wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

I'm finishing The Yellow Crocus. This is a sweet, easy to read book. I am so enjoying these last chapters. The best of the whole book.

I have this downloaded on my Kindle, I'm looking forward to reading it now......

@SydneyH let me know what you think.

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

I started Bellefleur by Joyce Carol Oates.

A wealthy and notorious clan, the Bellefleurs live in a region not unlike the Adirondacks, in an enormous mansion on the shores of mythic Lake Noir. They own vast lands and profitable businesses, they employ their neighbors, and they influence the government. A prolific and eccentric group, they include several millionaires, a mass murderer, a spiritual seeker who climbs into the mountains looking for God, a wealthy noctambulist who dies of a chicken scratch.

Bellefleur traces the lives of several generations of this unusual family. At its center is Gideon Bellefleur and his imperious, somewhat psychic, very beautiful wife, Leah, their three children (one with frightening psychic abilities), and the servants and relatives, living and dead, who inhabit the mansion and its environs. 

Can't help myself!  Joyce Carol Oates is one of my favorite authors.  Some of her books ae terrifying, revolting, and downright mystifying; but I end up loving every single one.

@pateacher, this looks like a good one.  Haven't read one like this for awhile so I'm ready!  LM

LM, I've finished the first few chapters.  The Bellefleurs are certainly a weird family.  At first I had to slow down to reacquaint myself with Oates; descriptions and syntax. I'm almost up to speed now.  So far, so good!

Respected Contributor

I am teaching an OLLI class (for senior citizens) on Joyce Carol Oates' Bloodsmoor Romance. It's a brilliant book, with touches of humor here and there.

I love Oates' writing, and have been trying, for a couple decades, to read all she's written. I've read over 100, but have not caught up with her.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac wrote:

I am teaching an OLLI class (for senior citizens) on Joyce Carol Oates' Bloodsmoor Romance. It's a brilliant book, with touches of humor here and there.

I love Oates' writing, and have been trying, for a couple decades, to read all she's written. I've read over 100, but have not caught up with her.

I read a review starting with: 

rated it 4 of 5 stars
This book was 600+ pages and I still feel shocked as if a streaker ran by. What the hell just happened?

She went on to give quite a long review (not for me!) but I thought the above was so funny. She ended by saying she loved it. 

Respected Contributor

I read The Anatomist's Wife, the first in the Lady Darby mysteries (Anna Lee Huber).  It was an enjoyable, light mystery set in Scotland in the 1830's.

After You (Jojo Moyes) the sequel to Me Before You.  It was kind of an up and down story.  The original book was definitely more compelling, but it's worth a look if you read the first one.

I started to read Luckiest Girl Alive.  Well, the first two chapters, then I read the reviews, then I decided to pass on it.

.Now I'm back to The Veiled One (Ruth Rendell).  I've read about 50% and like it so far.  But for some reason she is making Mike Burden seem even more inept than usual, even unlikeable.  Maybe she will redeem him before the end.

Super Contributor

'THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN".............they are making it into a movie..........I wanted to read it first...........its a little tough to get thru, as its a little "eerie" and each chapter is written by and about each of the different characters, hence, a little difficult to follow.......its working up to a very eerie mystery or surprise ending..........I'm determined to finish it !!!!

Valued Contributor

@donuts wrote:

'THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN".............they are making it into a movie..........I wanted to read it first...........its a little tough to get thru, as its a little "eerie" and each chapter is written by and about each of the different characters, hence, a little difficult to follow.......its working up to a very eerie mystery or surprise ending..........I'm determined to finish it !!!!

donuts:  Hang in there!  Our book club really liked this book.

Valued Contributor

@insomniac wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, insomniac!

My favorite Oates book thus far is The Falls.

MEAN STREAK   by Sandra Brown   ITS Fantastic  !!

Respected Contributor

I loved The Girl on the Train. I think it could be made into a great movie!