Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2015

Update that no one asked for LOL:

Around 260 pages into "Career of Evil" I am starting to get into it.  This book is a late bloomer!  But it's waaaaay too long.  I don't need to know that a man has freckled arms (now that I've said that watch it turn out to be the Freckled Arm Killer doing it LOL). 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished a book called CHIEFS by Stuart Woods.  It is the story of a search for a serial killer that spans the time of three different Police Chiefs in a small southern town.  Someone recommended this here.  It was a good read.  It was rated 4.17 out of 5 on Goodreads.

Although it is about a serial killer, the book actually spends a lot of time on what it was like during the 1920‘s and forward to the 1960's in a small Georgia town where racial issues simmer.  I wouldn't call this a gory book.  Read the forward before starting.  This book won the Edgar award for best first novel in 1982.  I think Loves Roses may have recommended this.

LM

Storyline ...

In the bitter winter of 1920, the first body is found in Delano, Georgia; the naked corpse of an unidentified teenager. There is no direct evidence of murder, but the body bears marks of what seems to be a ritual beating. The investigation falls to Will Henry Lee, a failed cotton farmer newly appointed as Delano's first chief of police. Lee's obsession with the crime begins a story that weaves through the decades, following the life of a small southern town and the role of three police chiefs in unraveling the crime.Chiefs is the best kind of thriller, where the investigation plays out against the drama beneath the surface of a seemingly placid community, seething with the pressures of race, love, hate, and; always; political power, extending from the town fathers all the way to Washington, DC. With a new foreword by the author, this volume will be a collector's treasure for all fans of Stuart Woods. 

Frequent Contributor

***SPOILER ALERT!!!!****Been awhile since I posted on here, but I just read "We Are Called to Rise "by Laura McBride. Excellent read overall, but can only give it 4 out of 5 stars as I thought the ending was a bit unrealistic.

Respected Contributor

Finally finished Wit's End by Karen Joy Fowler.  A waste of my time. 

Onto Katie Singer's The Wholeness of A Broken Heart