Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

Just finished The Mother's Promise by Sally Hepworth.  Thanks to Goodreads for this book.  This is a new author to me and I will be reading her others in the future it seems.

A sad, poignant book about Alice, who is a single mother, dying of ovarian cancer and her daughter Zoe who has social anxiety order. Zoe comes out of her shell eventually a little and she meets a boy at school who she really likes a lot and opens up to him and becomes her boyfriend.

There's also other characters that play a large role in both their lives. Kate is one of Alice's nurses who also becomes a friend to Zoe who she opens up to. Kate has her own "problems" and I like her relationship w/Zoe and her family and step-children. Sonja is Alice's social worker and her life with her husband George is very perturbing. I won't spoil it for others who haven't read it, but her husband factors into Zoe & Alice's life almost at the end of the book.

Of course, the ending is sad, and you see it coming but that's life!

Onto another Goodreads win The Hope Chest by Viola Shipman (aka author Wade Rouse)

Respected Contributor

The author of The  Girl Before is Tony Strong.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Dream Lovers, The Magnificent Shattered Lives of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee by their son, Dodd Darin - wonderful book - what dysfunctional lives they had before even being married.  I have always loved Bobby Darin and knew about his family secrets and wanted to learn more.  Their son did a wonderful job and was brutally honest about his feelings for his parents - he did not hold back.

Also just finished The Ladies Room by Carolyn Brown - cute novel - really enjoyed it. 

Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

Just finished M. C. Beaton's latest Hamish Macbeth cozy mystery, "DEATH OF A GHOST", which was okay.  She's written better, frankly.  Now about to start Joanne Fluke's latest Hannah Swensen cozy mystery, "BANANA CREAM PIE MURDER".

I love a good cozy, but I haven't tried either of these. I should check out the earlier Hamish Macbeth books, I think.

Have you seen any of the Hannah Swensen Murder She Baked movies on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries? They have a rotating set of mysteries based on cozy books and I've enjoyed them.

Hi @ChynnaBlue, I have seen all of the Hannah Swenson mysteries on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel, and I would say that they are very true to the books.  If you like the movies, you will probably enjoy the books too.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  I didn't know about the Bobby Darin book! I will definitely get it. I saw Beyond the Sea and have a rough idea of his life style. I remember reading at the time that he woke up one morning and told Sandra he didn't want to be married anymore. I loved Bobby Darin. Talk about charisma! And he could sing a little, too, hahaha. Loved the way he moved when he sang. Thnx

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  I was just looking at this picture and you can't tell me his father (supposedly his mother didn't know who it was) doesn't see himself in this picture-whoever he is.

Image result for dodd darin

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  I was just looking at this picture and you can't tell me his father (supposedly his mother didn't know who it was) doesn't see himself in this picture-whoever he is.

Image result for dodd darin

@Judaline - I think so too - I think the father didn't want anything to do with him - the mother took that info to the grave with her.  She knew who it was, but said she didn't want to ruin his life with a kid.  But he and his son look so alike - I'm sure he looked just like his dad.  Handsome man. 

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  I didn't know about the Bobby Darin book! I will definitely get it. I saw Beyond the Sea and have a rough idea of his life style. I remember reading at the time that he woke up one morning and told Sandra he didn't want to be married anymore. I loved Bobby Darin. Talk about charisma! And he could sing a little, too, hahaha. Loved the way he moved when he sang. Thnx

@Judaline - you know how you feel when you feel a connection with someone?  I can remember being a little girl and seeing him sing and just crying because I felt this sadness in him.  The book is wonderful read - Sandra Dee's life was very sad too because of her overbearing mother.  You should definitely read the book! 

Super Contributor

Reading The Likeness by Tana French.  I'm almost to the end & love it.  It's a 466 pages long!

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

Reading The Likeness by Tana French.  I'm almost to the end & love it.  It's a 466 pages long!

@kitty45, I love Tana French.  I have read everything she wrote.  LM