Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2016

Thanks, @lainey1, for everything, every book, every conversation, every fun and intriguing moment spent in your threads.

Hope someone else will try to fill your big shoes!  (not big feet, but big shoes)

Honored Contributor

I finished "Did You Ever Have a Family" by Bill Clegg and gave it five stars.  It's very well written, poignant without being sentimental.

I am now reading a horror novel by Thomas Olde Heuvelt, "HEX."  This is a young guy who is like the Dutch Stephen King.  (He's even a better writer than Stephen King, who tends to go on and on, kind of like I do!). 

His first novel was published and became a bestseller when he was still in his teens!   This is his sixth novel but the first one published in English and, in an unusual move, the publisher had him rewrite it to move it out of The Netherlands and set it in the Hudson Valley in NY.

I am loving it.  If you liked Blair Witch you will love HEX!  And maybe even if you didn't like Blair Witch LOL. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lainey1 a big thank you for keeping this thread going for so long.  Wishing you all the best!

Respected Contributor

I finished The Year of the Flood.  I've read several books by Margaret Atwood (including The Handmaid's Tale and The Blind Assassin) and this one is my favorite so far.  I have MaddAddam on my kindle but think  I will take a little break from this series.

Why is it always feast or famine?  Several books just became available again, including the next Elvis Cole, the next Inspector Alleyn, and Britt Marie Was Here.  I started reading The Summer Before The War (very slow going).  I'm also reading Be Frank With Me (Julia Claiborne Johnson). 20% in and I'm not sure how I feel about that one, either.

@Judaline I loved The Book Thief and had no desire to see the movie.  Isn't it funny how that works.

Trusted Contributor

I have been in the mood for something light lately so I've been making my way thru the Throne of Glass series by Sarah Maas. I just finished Queen of Shadows. I will be looking forward to the release of the next book in the series.

Honored Contributor

Thank you Lainey for your much years of dedication - although I don't often post much - I do come here from time to time to get ideas. It has brought me to many books that I would never have known about. 

images.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished FLIGHT PATTERNS by Karen White.  Loved it.   A mystery solved from WW 2, a romance and family drama and secrets all wrapped up in one book.  What more could you ask for?

Valued Contributor

Thank you very much, @lainey1.  Because of your reading thread, I've read some wonderful books that were recommended. 

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

Just finished last night for a refresh of storyline.

Product Details

Started No. 2 this morning and I am on hold for No. 3 at the Library.  I cannot believe I did not know No. 2 was out until almost time for No. 3.  So very good.

Product Details

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Yes lainey thanks so much for this thread.   Maybe you can just change the title to add something like  "and beyond" and keep this one running