Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- June 2016

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not?

~ tell us the book genre - is it a mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above

------------------------------------------------------

I'm not reading anything right now, in fact I haven't read a book in several months.

Note:

This is the last month I'm going to start the monthly reading thread. Hopefully someone will take over the task to keep the monthly post going. Thanks to everyone who's posted in the reading thread over the years!

Happy reading all! Heart lainey

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2016

[ Edited ]

@lainey1 wrote:

Note:

This is the last month I'm going to start the monthly reading thread. Hopefully someone will take over the task to keep the monthly post going. Thanks to everyone who's posted in the reading thread over the years!

I'm going to miss your thread lainey...I didn't aways (or even often) post but I sure enjoyed everything I learned from reading what you and others had to say about what books you were enjoying.  So many books I wouldn't have even known about and all the hours of enjoyment from you ladies, sure gonna miss it.

I'm sure everyone agrees that we're grateful to you for all your efforts keeping up this thread and that we'll miss it very much.  Thanks for the good times...

Maria

Respected Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ tell us the book genre - is it a mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

I'm not reading anything right now, in fact I haven't read a book in several months.

Note:

Lainey, thanks for all these years of doing this.  It's the only place I go on QVC forums and found a lot of great people and books thanks to your thread.  I do hope that someone takes it over too.  I hope that you will come on and share your books w/us though.

I just finished The Never-Open Desert Diner by James Anderson which was a Goodreads giveaway.  Very enjoyable and fast reading.

Going to read Bridget Jones Diary next by Helen Fielidng which I know has been out for awhile but never read it.  Time for some chick lit for a change.

Honored Contributor

Product DetailsAnn B. Ross, Miss Julia Inherits a Mess

Product DetailsStephanie Evanovich, The Total Package

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I haven't started them yet, but I bought the ever popular ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE by Anthony Doerr and THE GOLEM AND THE JINNI by Helene Wecker. Both had really good reviews on Amazon so I am looking forward to them both. I read THE NIGHTINGALE by Kristen Hannah last month. It was so good! Didn't want it to end! 

Respected Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

Note:

Thank you, @lainey1, for your devotion to the reading thread each month! I am sad that you are unable to continue. Wishing you all the best!❤️

Super Contributor

I was reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave,  I started liking it but I ended up hating one of the characters so around 1/4 of the way I gave it up.  I might pick it up again.  I'm now reading The Book Thief & so far it's really good.

Respected Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

I was reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave,  I started liking it but I ended up hating one of the characters so around 1/4 of the way I gave it up.  I might pick it up again.  I'm now reading The Book Thief & so far it's really good.

The Book Thief is one of my favorites! @kitty45

Honored Contributor

@skyblue Saw the movie-don't want to read the book now.

I saw an Inspector Gamache movie-one of those Acorn presentations. It was really good-I think it was called Still Life: A Three Pines Mystery. I believe that was the first or second book. Anyway, the downside is, it was devoid of the charm of the town. They would show a shot of the homes but don't blink you'll miss it. The infamous INN was just an inn with price tags on everything-always loved that. No charm. No fireplace at either end. We weren't introduced to 'the players' but they were all there. Maybe we saw them a couple times. Here's what got me-the miscast of the century. Clara was gorgeous. And young. Peter was young, too. He's my unfavorite character so when they didn't show him often I was happy. So for what it's worth, that's my take. Good movie but don't look for charm. Oh, and I didn't like Jean-Guy at all. Gamache was played by Nathaniel Parker who played another inspector on PBS.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Lainey  Heart