Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2015 (Part 2)

[ Edited ]
I just finished it this afternoon. Read at your own peril,lol.
Let me know what you think Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

I finished this...

All I Love and Know: A Novel by Judith Frank

and wound up liking it.

It's about a gay couple and their life and relationship and how it is changed when one of the men, the uncle of suddenly orphaned niece and nephew are thrust into sudden parenting.  It's also about the conflict and bombings in the Middle East, which is how the children became orphaned. 

It's well written and the characters are well developed.  Some of the scenes and details were a little too explicit for me, so I did do some skimming over some parts. 

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Esteemed Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I finished this...

All I Love and Know: A Novel by Judith Frank

and wound up liking it.

It's about a gay couple and their life and relationship and how it is changed when one of the men, the uncle of suddenly orphaned niece and nephew are thrust into sudden parenting.  It's also about the conflict and bombings in the Middle East, which is how the children became orphaned. 

It's well written and the characters are well developed.  Some of the scenes and details were a little too explicit for me, so I did do some skimming over some parts. 

MrsSweetieBear, I really loved this book. I couldn't put it down, literally. It was so sad for those dear children. I cried for them. I thought the book was very well written, and although I read it either late last year or early this year, it's still in my mind. Highly recommend!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

So Emma Straub is the daughter of Peter Straub  I didn't know that till I saw this on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialStephenKing?fref=nf

Stephen King with Peter Straub, Emma Straub & Owen King - A Roundtable Discussion

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

So Emma Straub is the daughter of Peter Straub  I didn't know that till I saw this on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialStephenKing?fref=nf

Stephen King with Peter Straub, Emma Straub & Owen King - A Roundtable Discussion

lovescats, thanks for the link. I only watched a few minutes so far.  It's a very interesting discussion, although I'm finding all the fidgeting by Peter Straub very distracting! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Just started The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, it reminds me a lot of The Help.

untitled.png

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri.  Really good book that's been sitting on my shelf for years and I don't know why I didn't read it sooner.

Onto Bettyville (nf) by George Hodgman which got great reviews on this board. 

Honored Contributor

I just finished Bettyville. Really a good book. He writes well and has a droll sense of humor. I laughed a lot at his one liners. This is not a quick easy read. More intense I would say, but I liked it a lot.

Respected Contributor

Sunny your cookies look so good.  I wish I had some.

Honored Contributor

The Third Victim- Lisa Gardner

I just finished this.  I have read others in the series (out of order). 

The past isn't over....

An unspeakable act has ripped apart the idyllic town of Bakersville, Oregon, and its once-peaceful residents are demanding quick justice. But though a boy has confessed to the horrific crime, evidence shows he may not be guilty.

Officer Rainie Conner, leading her first homicide investigation, stands at the center of the controversy. It's hitting too close to home, bringing back her worst nightmares, threatening to expose her secret sins. But with the boy's life at stake, she won't let anything stop her from finding the real killer.

With the help of FBI profiler Pierce Quincy, Rainie comes closer to a deadly truth than she can imagine. Because out there in the shadows a man watches her and plots his next move. He knows her secrets. He kills for sport. He's already brought death to Bakersville and forever shattered the community. But what he has really come for is Rainie -- and he won't leave until he has destroyed her....