Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2015 (Part 2)

@Sagal wrote:
I just finished THE LOST WIFE - another WWII story but this is a love story. Wonderful book - gave it five stars at GOODREADS.

Oh, The Lost Wife was one of my all-time-favorite books. I don't often cry while reading a book, but I not only cried, I sobbed, and more than once. This book ripped my heart. The author, Alyson Richman, had a reading at my library but I was out of town and missed it. I would have loved to meet her and thank her for writing such an incredibly touching love story. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

I just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Looking forward to the next instillation in the trilogy.

Also on my to read list, is this a long book?  Over 500 pages?

Trusted Contributor

It's not one of his huge books-about 450 pages.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

I'm reading A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson.  It has a similar rambling style to Life After Life.  It's a little more straightforward, in that there is only one life, but it does reference many of the characters who were in Life After Life, including Ursula.  Kate Atkinson has become one of my favorite authors.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading a series of Facebook posts from members of a new Book Club trying to decide what book they selected at their last meeting -- the closest they got was "Trail of Broken Tears" -- I am suggesting they might want to read  The Ants Are My Friends: A Celebration of Misheard Lyrics and Other Linguistic Gaffes by Martin Toseland.   

If you're fond of Malapropisms, Eggcorns, and Mondegreens, if you "take thing for granite" or find yourself singing "Get dressed ye married gentlemen" or "Who Ya Gonna Call, Gus Foster," you'll probably laugh out loud at this book.

BTW, I just saw my newest favorite book-lover's quote:  "When comforting a Grammar Nazi, I always say softly, 'there, their, they're'." 

Super Contributor

Just finished RECONSTRUCTING AMELIA - good book, kept my interest, very fast read - gave it four stars at Goodreads. It was a mystery about a young girl's apparent suicide.
Honored Contributor

@Sagal wrote:
Just finished RECONSTRUCTING AMELIA - good book, kept my interest, very fast read - gave it four stars at Goodreads. It was a mystery about a young girl's apparent suicide.

That sounds good, my to read list is huge, lol.

Super Contributor

I tried another Kristin Hannah book called Mystic Lake.  I enjoyed it very much.  I like her writing.

Trusted Contributor

@Sagal wrote:
I just finished THE LOST WIFE - another WWII story but this is a love story. Wonderful book - gave it five stars at GOODREADS.

Yes, that was a super good book.  I read it a couple years ago and loved it too.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading?

[ Edited ]

I went back to Robert Wagner and read his "You Must Remember This..." which is basically a non-fiction tour of old Hollywood homes and restaurants with some name dropping all over the place from the beginning to about present day.  Interesting if you are a history buff of Southern California or not in my case.