Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? July, 2019

Just finished My Lovely Wife thanks to suggestions on this forum.  Very good.  Thanks for all the great ideas.....I love reading and am always searching for good books.

Honored Contributor

I just started The Recipe Box by Viola Shipman.   

I LOVED and HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Charm Bracelet and The Hope Chest, also by Shipman. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah and enjoyed it.  

Last night I started Lost Roses but fell asleep after the first page, I hope it gets better!

Regular Contributor

This has been a season for fun reading!
I finished:

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey, a steamy neighbor turned love/home repair romance novel.

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves, romance novel featuring a protagonist with Autism.

Field Notes on Love by Jennifer E. Smith, a young adult novel about a cross-country train trip.

All three were excellent reads and totally recommended.

I also finished re-listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Now I am reading:

Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

and re-listening to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Supremacy License, book 1 by Alan Lee. This new series is an offshoot of the Mackenzie August series and the main character is Manny Martinez, aka code name Sinatra.  The book is action packed and very good.  If you have read the August series, you will already understand Manny.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

From comments made here I am deciding to continue reading Summer Of ‚69......I am usually totally into Elin Hilderbrand‘s books, but I am having trouble getting interested. On page 38.
Respected Contributor

I read Miss Kopp Just Won't Quit by Amy Stewart.  This is the 4th book in the series and based on real events.  Although as the books progress I'm not sure if there is more fiction now than fact.  Anyway, the year is 1916.  It begins with Constance Kopp trying to help a woman who is being unjustly committed to an asylum by her philandering husband, basically, just because he can.

I recently saw a short biography of Cary Grant and this happened to his mother.  When he was about 10 or 11 (in 1914) his father committed his mother to an asylum and told Cary (who was not Cary yet) that his mother had left to go to a seaside spa.  The father then started a new family.  One of the reasons Cary ran away from home at the age of 14.  He didn't learn the truth until many years later.  

Based on the Miss Kopp book, this was not so unusual for that time.  Sad.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Body in the Salt Marsh by Nick Louth.  Goodreads rates it 4.27.  For me 3.5.  LM

Trusted Contributor

I really enjoyed "THE GOWN" by Jennifer Robson.  It is a historical fiction novel about the women who embroidered Queen Elizabeth's wedding gown.  I know that several other readers on this thread have read and liked this book as well.

After that, I read Jenny Colgan's new romance, "THE BOOKSHOP ON THE SHORE," and thought it was pretty good, but not great.  Her previous book, "THE BOOKSHOP ON THE CORNER" was so fantastic that this one was a bit disappointing.  The current book does feature some of the same people as the previous book, but is not really a sequel.

Next up is Nora Roberts' new summer stand-alone novel, "UNDER CURRENTS."

Trusted Contributor

I read Rise and Shine Benedict Stone by Phaedra Patrick which was about a man who was struggling with his relationship with his wife and suddenly the daughter of his estranged brother turns up on his doorstep. Benedict comes from a family of jewelers so each chapter is named after a semi precious or precious stone and gives a little background of what each stone's meaning is. I enjoyed this book and the added info as I am a gem lover.

I followed that book with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling. I am enjoying this series so much that I am sorry that I waited so long to get around to reading it. However, now may be the perfect time as my granddaughter is also reading the series so we can have discussions about the books.

I guess every book truly does have it's time.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx