Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? July, 2019

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Yankee Widow, by Linda Lael Miller;

Cheaper By The Dozen, by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr., Ernestine Gilbreth Carey (written by two of the real life children from the Gilbreth family).

The book and the movie Cheaper by the Dozen are my favorites and they have been around for decades. I've read the book and watched the movie over and over. 

Trusted Contributor

My 2nd post for today, another book completed - this 2nd one is a short story. Takes about an hour to read, and it's a fun hour.

"The LIving Library" by our own Donald A. Shinn.  I have liked all his books.

This latest one is different, characters from books coming alive.  Funny at times,

and takes your mind on an adventure.  I liked it a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears 

I am not sure what is going on but I assume that is a health issue. I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. I only know you from the Book Forum but you are a continual positive force. I look forward to your postings, and have missed them of late. 

God Bless!!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Readers! I'm reading Montauk, by Nicola Harrison. I'm enjoying it a lot and find it hard to put down. It takes place in Montauk, which is a tiny town at the very eastern end of Long Island. It takes place in 1938 going forward. I'm wondering if the Hurricane of 1938 will appear as well as the other problems the characters are dealing with.

I've been a busy reader lately. I've read Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner. I know so many people who loved it, but I liked it, not loved it. Too much sadness for me. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. I also read Button Man by Andrew Gross, which I enjoyed very much. It took place in the 1920s going forward, and revolves around the Jewish gangsters who preyed on innocent people in NYC. I enjoyed it a lot. I also read Cape May by Chip Cheek. I loved it and found it lived in my mind for quite a while after I was done. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I didn't love The Editor by Steven Rowley, although I was really looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed the parts with Jacqueline Onassis but the rest of it wasn't so hot. 2-3 stars for that one. Time to go read.

Happy Reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@CareBears 

I am not sure what is going on but I assume that is a health issue. I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. I only know you from the Book Forum but you are a continual positive force. I look forward to your postings, and have missed them of late. 

God Bless!!

@CareBears-  I'm just hearing about your health issues. I'm so sorry to hear this about you. I hope you will continue to recuperate and be back to your old self before long!

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

Book Clubbers, I know that many of you have been wondering what happened to @CareBears , our thriller-loving friend!  She has had some health issues; please go to the Among Friends forum and you will see a thread with her name on it, for a full explanantion.  Wishing her all the best for a speedy recovery, and hope to see her posting with us soon.

@dawg lover- thank you so much for letting us know about @CareBears ! She's usually quite active here on the book board, and I'm glad to hear she's recuperating!

Get well soon!

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Hi Readers! I'm reading Montauk, by Nicola Harrison. I'm enjoying it a lot and find it hard to put down. It takes place in Montauk, which is a tiny town at the very eastern end of Long Island. It takes place in 1938 going forward. I'm wondering if the Hurricane of 1938 will appear as well as the other problems the characters are dealing with.

I've been a busy reader lately. I've read Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner. I know so many people who loved it, but I liked it, not loved it. Too much sadness for me. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. I also read Button Man by Andrew Gross, which I enjoyed very much. It took place in the 1920s going forward, and revolves around the Jewish gangsters who preyed on innocent people in NYC. I enjoyed it a lot. I also read Cape May by Chip Cheek. I loved it and found it lived in my mind for quite a while after I was done. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I didn't love The Editor by Steven Rowley, although I was really looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed the parts with Jacqueline Onassis but the rest of it wasn't so hot. 2-3 stars for that one. Time to go read.

Happy Reading!

@sunala, sorry you didn't like Mrs. Everything as much as I did.  As for sad, yes in a way, with her mother being the way she was but otherwise I didn't think so. Not sure if you read my review on Goodreads.

Dying to read Montauk and Cape May myself.  Thinking of deleting The Editor after reading reviews of not being that great. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala , glad to see @Carebears is back posting.  LM

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I finished The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides.  This is a psychological thriller about a woman who hasn't spoken since she was found standing over her husband who had been shot 5 times in the face.  It is written from the point of view of her therapist.  

I had a feeling I shouldn't have read this book.  I didn't like Gone Girl or others similar to it and I probably wouldn't appreciate this book.  But there is so much buzz about it that I gave in and read it.  Ugh.  I just don't like books where no one is who they seem to be.  The therapist is an "unreliable narrator" and that drives me crazy.  

So I do not recommend this book unless you particularly like this genre.

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 

I agree with you about Silent Patient. I was not that impressed.  I do like psychological thrillers and have read many of that genre.  This one was okay, but somehow it generated a huge amout of buzz; overblown in my opinion.