Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? July, 2019

Did anyone mention The Other Americans? (Laila Lalami)  It's Los Angeles Times book club selection.  I read it, very good.  It's a mystery but more than that, highly readable.

Trusted Contributor

I just finished a book by 1 of my all-time favorite authors, Alex Kava. She has a few stand alone mystery/thriller books but I've enjoyed her Maggie O'Dell FBI series and Ryder Creed series the best. This latest book is called Before Evil. It's a prequel to the Maggie O'Dell series. It had been so long since I read book 1 that I didn't remember much about this serial killer featured in this book. She does a great job doing chapters in the voice of Maggie and other chapters in the voice of the killer. 

This book reminded me how much I enjoy her books. I need to look at my library's website again to see if they got in any of the books I've missed while reading the series. 

Regular Contributor

I finished Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey and while I loved the premise and the secondary characters, the main character, Annie, drove me nuts for the first 2/3 of the book. She was probably supposed to, but it made the reading experience less enjoyable for me.  

I also read Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb. This nonfiction memoir-ish narrative was an interesting look into the author (who is a therapist), her personal therapy, her clients, and her journey. I teared up on this one and got super angry at a couple of the "characters". I am not usually a nonfiction reader, but I have read 4 in the last month! A new record for me.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Just finished Before the Fall by Noah Hawley.  Goodreads rates it 3.74 and I agree.  The book tells of a significant event from the perspective of all the players.  I thought the ending was a bit funny but a good book all in all.  LM

I read this too and really liked it. I’d give it about a 4. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't wait until next Tuesday, because five books I've been longing to read will be available at the library that day!  They are:

THE NEW GIRL by Daniel Silva (Gabriel Allon thriller series)

SHAMED by Linda Castillo (Amish police chief mystery series)

BARK OF NIGHT by David Rosenfelt (Andy Carpenter mystery series)

THE PAWFUL TRUTH by Miranda James (cat cozy mystery series)

THE SECOND WORST RESTAURANT IN FRANCE by Alexander McCall Smith (sequel to his charming book, THE ITALIAN BULLDOZER).

@smoky22 - I ordered the new Scotland Street book, THE PEPPERMINT TEA CHRONICLES, because I could not wait until December.  I'll let you know how it is.  Also, Grantchester starts this Sunday on my PBS station -- 2 hour premiere.

Trusted Contributor

Book Clubbers, I know that many of you have been wondering what happened to @CareBears , our thriller-loving friend!  She has had some health issues; please go to the Among Friends forum and you will see a thread with her name on it, for a full explanantion.  Wishing her all the best for a speedy recovery, and hope to see her posting with us soon.

Trusted Contributor

@dawg lover  Thank you for thinking of posting that information about @CareBears here. I was relieved when I saw her post last night. I'm sure everyone here will wish her a speedy and full recovery.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  I didn't know Grantchester will be 2 hours.  I'm pretty sure my DVR will pick it up to tape but I'm going to check it now.  (I'm jealous about The Peppermint Tea Chronicles!  I won't get it until December, if then.)

Also, not sure if you know that Lisa Lutz has a new book coming out in August called The Swallows

I recently read her book How To Start A Fire and I don't think I've ever read anything that jumps around numerous timelines like this book does.  When I finished I thought I should go back and actually make myself a timeline of events but I just didn't have the patience for it anymore. It must have been fun to write, but not so much to read.

Super Contributor

Just finished listening to Chocolate Cream Pie by Joanne Fluke.  I think I'm done with this series.  I gave it one star, I also gave the last one one star.  The books are starting to get very weak.  

Now reading The Lies of Spies by Tim Tigner.  This is book number two in the Kyle Achilles series. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am currently reading The Couple on Cedar Close by Anna-Lou Weatherley a book I purchased on Amazon several months ago, so far so good, a phsycologocal thriller!