Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? July, 2019

I just finished August Origins by Alen Lee.  I was not sure about this book, but it is very good.  Mackenzie August is a retired detective who moved from California and back to Roanoke, Virginia with his son Kix and they live with his father.  He opens a private investigation office, but is recruited by the police chief to find out the source of drug trafficking and the initiation murders of young women by teaching English at the local high school.  I am definitely reading book 2.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Forever and Ever Amen, Randy Travis' autobiography. Interesting, he's really been through alot. I hope he will be able to sing again someday. I love his voice. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished  The Second Secret by Alan Lee.  Another great book in the Mackenzie August series.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just checked my Kindle downloads so far this month ... 10 downloads.  And, I ordered two books not available on Kindle.

Of the downloads, only one is fiction ... "The Door in the Hedge:  and Other Stories."  It's a collection of fairy tales.  Amazon blurb:

The last mortal kingdom before the unmeasured sweep of Faerieland begins has at best held an uneasy truce with its unpredictable neighbor. There is nothing to show a boundary, at least on the mortal side of it; and if any ordinary human creature ever saw a faerie—or at any rate recognized one—it was never mentioned; but the existence of the boundary and of faeries beyond it is never in doubt either. 

The other downloads and the two paperbacks aren't the sort of thing you just read from cover-to-cover.  Stuff in History, Art, Theology, Literature and Archaeology. 

My "escape" reading is sci-fi and fantasy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Thank you @sunala  for keeping us going💕.  LM

@Lilysmom- no thanks are necessary. I do this for the enjoyment of everyone! I hope all is well with you Heart

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@insomniac2 , ditto on The Lilac Girls.  I thought it was just ok.  

Ditto on We Have to Talk About Kevin.  LM

hi @Lilysmom - I loved The Lilac Girls although it was quite sad. I wasn't crazy about her next book  (sorry I can't remember the title). I just couldn't get into it. I'm in a bit of a slump lately. I start a book that I wanted to read so much, but then I can't get into it. I think I may have too much on my mind.

I have lots of books on my Kindle that I've been waiting anxiously to read. Maybe one of them will satisfy me. Here's hoping.

Happy Reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Last Teacher by Alan Lee, a prequel to his Mackenzie August mystery series.  This was a very quick read but it gave insight as Mack moves from life as a homocide detective in LA to finally a move to Roanoke, VA.

Trusted Contributor

Re-reading “The Group” by Mary McCarthy. Recently, I rewatched the movie version; it seemed different than what I remembered it and particularly different than the book. 

Respected Contributor

Happy July everyone.  Thanks to Sunala for keeping this thread going.  I don't give her thanks often enough for this.

Finished The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams.  Even though it was a huge book (close to 400 pages) it was fast moving or else I probably wouldn't have finished it in 6 days.  I liked it even though there were a lot of characters to keep track of.  I enjoyed her earlier books better.

Onto Holly Peterson's It's Hot In The Hamptons.  I need light reading after that one.

Respected Contributor

I am reading Neal Stephenson Fall;or: Dodge in Hell  and Nine Perfect Strangers