Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? July, 2019

@Grammycakes wrote:

I'll be finishing Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver in the next couple of days.  It's not as good as I was hoping.  Plus, I'm tired of fiction books making political statements.  It's not that I agree or disagree.  I just want to live in a fictional world for awhile!  Has anyone else read it?

@Grammycakes  I did read it and was also disappointed.  I usually love this author, but she was all over the place with this book.   

Respected Contributor

I just finished Diane Setterfield’s ONCE UPON A RIVER;  what an epic story!  I loved this one as much as her THIRTEENTH TALE!  I am starting THE VENTRILOQUISTS by E.R. Ramzipoor.  It will be released 8/19/19.  

93F5EEC1-83C7-4FB7-8D73-776A28E5725E.jpeg

Regular Contributor

I am in a romance-reading mood. I finished Rainy Day Friends by Jill Shalvis, a story about a single father of twins with a large extended family and a graphic designer with a philandering and dead husband. It was cute! I espeically liked the twin daughters.

I aslo read Dump and Chase by Toni Aleo, the first book in a hockey romance series spin-off. I like the  new generation of hockey players, but in order to truly enjoy the story, the reader really has to have read the other books in the series before... The #1 label is misleading. I liked it though!

Now I am reading:
Field Notes on Love by Jennifer E. Smith

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey

and a re-listen of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I just finished Diane Setterfield’s ONCE UPON A RIVER;  what an epic story!  I loved this one as much as her THIRTEENTH TALE!  I am starting THE VENTRILOQUISTS by E.R. Ramzipoor.  It will be released 8/19/19.  

93F5EEC1-83C7-4FB7-8D73-776A28E5725E.jpeg

@BornToShop  I loved Once Upon A River.  I thought it was so original and the cover art is beautiful too.

Trusted Contributor

None of my library holds were in so I was re-reading the circle trilogy by Nora Roberts. Finishing the last book today and will go on to read something from my own stash. Usually prefer lighter “beach reads” in the summer. Taking a 2 day trip next week and will probably pull out my Kindle to take along.

Super Contributor

Well, I attempted to listen to The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck, then I remembered I tried reading it a few years ago & returned it back to the library.  Now I know why.  After listening to it for two hours I couldn't take it & returned it.  

Now I'm listening to Fatty O'Leary's Dinner Party by the delightfull Alexander McCall Smith. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Praire Fires The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  The book was published two years ago, but I just discovered it.

Has anyone else read this book?  I did enjoy it and found it very interesting. 

Trusted Contributor

I just finished the 4th book in the Mercy Kilpatrick FBI agent mystery series by Kendra Elliot called A Merciful Silence.  I really enjoyed this mystery. Completed it in 2 days and stayed up until midnight reading it. That's a sign that I really am drawn into a book needing to know what happens next! The mystery starts off right away in 1st chapter when the bones of 5 people are found in a flooded culvert. There are only 6 books planned for the series. I hope the next 2 are just as interesting and will likely be sad when I complete the series. This has been an enjoyable new mystery series for me this Summer! The author does have a couple other series that I may try but according to reviews it sounds like they are more romance mysteries...not sure if that means they are light on the mystery and heavy on the romance? I prefer a good mystery with maybe a dash of romance. 

Occasional Contributor

I love series because if I like the premise I read all in the series.

I love all of the JD Robb books and re-read them often

Currently reading the Kendra Michaels series by Iris Johansen - it's about a woman who is a music therapist but also helps to solve murders.  She was blind until age 20, underwent an experimental surgery and regained her sight.  While blind she worked hard on developing her other senses and uses them to help to solve crimes.

Also like the Fatal Series by Marie Force & James Patterson Michael Bennett and Women's Murder Club series.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to The Sentence is Death by Anthony Horowitz, the 2nd book in his Detective Hawthorne series.  Book 1 made it on my best of the year list with its amusing “gotcha” ending.  Although I liked Book 2, it won’t make my list.  It’s a more straightforward mystery. This book is still told from Horowitz’s viewpoint, but he’s not as showy about his accomplishments (even though the books opens with him on set.) If you know his works, then there are some amusing eggs strewn about.

We learn a bit more about Hawthorne, but, as “Tony” writes - the more he learns, the less he knows.  Assuming there will be a book 3, will probably learn all his secrets then. 

For my next Audible, I’m jumping into “me-too” territory with Reese’s next book club pick.  I’m also still reading on my Kindle, when I find the time, “City of Girls”. I think it’s fun enough; it’s just not fun enough for me to read vs do something else.