Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? July, 2019

@NEvans2 wrote:

I'm about half way thru Summer of '69 by Elin Hildebrand. Really enjoying it. I love how she named the chapters after popular songs from that era. Finished Lost Roses last week, which is the prequel to Lilac Girls. It was okay. Next on my list, Queen Bee by Dorothea Benton Frank.

I stopped this morning with about 100 pages left of Elin's book to finish @NEvans2 later today.  Takes me back to the summer after my first grade year and listiening to the music with Mom in her '68 Mustang.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 , ditto on The Lilac Girls.  I thought it was just ok.  

Ditto on We Have to Talk About Kevin.  LM

Regular Contributor

Well, I finished Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson - an excellent book about our broken justice system and the need for prison reform. It's not often that I find a book that makes you smile and sob and almost throw the book across the room in anger, but this one did it for me. I found myself stopping often to share something that shook me with my husband. The book is not long, but it wasn't a quick read for me. 

Now I am reading something MUCH lighter: Rainy Day Friends by Jill Shalvis, book 2 in her Wildstone series.

Frequent Contributor

Some of Carolyn Hart's mystery series.

Valued Contributor

I am reading The Good Liar by Catherine McKenzie

When an explosion rips apart a Chicago building, the lives of three women are forever altered.

A year later, Cecily is in mourning. She was supposed to be in the building that day. Instead, she stood on the street and witnessed it going down, with her husband and best friend inside. Kate, now living thousands of miles away, fled the disaster and is hoping that her past won’t catch up with her. And Franny, a young woman in search of her birth mother, watched the horror unfold on the morning news, knowing that the woman she was so desperate to reconnect with was in the building.

Now, despite the marks left by the tragedy, they all seem safe. But as its anniversary dominates the media, the memories of that terrifying morning become dangerous triggers. All these women are guarding important secrets. Just how far will they go to keep them?

Super Contributor

@insomniac2  I thought I was the only one who didn't like Lilac Girls.  I gave it 2 stars just because the author did a lot of research.  But the book itself was poorly written & needed a lot of editing.  I'm on hold for her other book & thinking of taking it off hold.  

Super Contributor

Reading A Merciful Truth by Kendra Elliot.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished Holiday in Death by J.D. Robb last night.

I am still plugging along with The Cartel by Don Winslow. It's my book that I read during my lunch at work.

Tonight I am going to start Naked Prey by John Sanford

Respected Contributor

I have been in a mood to read books by Lisa Scottoline recently.  I have just read Don't Go ,Corrupted, Exposed and Feared. All good reads.  Next is The Perfect Lie.

Frequent Contributor

I had set a good reads challenge of reading 100 books this year... I was on track until the beginning of June, but after traveling so much for work I am now behind!  I hope to get through a whole stack of books in July!

I am trying to read all the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell and am currently on book 8 called Unnatural Exposure.  I'm reading the series in order, but honestly each book is a stand alone murder case that you could pick up without having read the previous ones.   

I also have The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty next to my bed along with Eat the Document by Dana Spiotta.  Both seem to have a little bit of a suspense/intrigue theme. 

Lastly, I have Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daly.  This was published in 1942 as a book for adults, but it might fit better into the young adult category.  I read this years ago and want to see if I still like it as much this time around.  If you've never heard of Maureen Daly look her up- one of the first women to have a career as a journalist.