Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

@lovescats wrote:
Sarah Addison Allen has a new one out First Frost that I listened to as an audio book and I liked it. It's starting to deal with the sisters and their high school daughters. It says it is book 2 of thewaverly family series but you don't have to read the first one before. I forget whether I did or not. It is a quirky romance book too.

It's the Waverly sisters that were in Garden Spells, so First Frost must be a continuation, which is what you said (book 2). 

I like it when you can pick up on a series and not feel lost  but I really enjoyed book 1. I'm looking forward to reading book 2. 

Thanks for posting this. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Ah, it worked. Thanks, SusieQ_2!
Honored Contributor

I just finished this, and I enjoyed it more than the other books I've read by this author.

Here is the description:

Spoiler

When the truffle-hunting dog starts to dig furiously, his master’s first reaction is delight at the size of the clump the dog has unearthed: at the going rate, this one truffle might be worth several hundred pounds. Then the dirt falls away to reveal not a precious mushroom but the bones and tendons of what is clearly a human hand.

In Not in the Flesh, Chief Inspector Wexford tries to piece together events that took place eleven years earlier, a time when someone was secretly interred in a secluded patch of English countryside. Now Wexford and his team will need to interrogate everyone who lives nearby to see if they can turn up a match for the dead man among the eighty-five people in this part of England who have disappeared over the past decade. Then, when a second body is discovered nearby, Wexford experiences a feeling that’s become a rarity for the veteran policeman: surprise

As Wexford painstakingly moves to resolve these multiple mysteries, long-buried secrets are brought to daylight, and Ruth Rendell once again proves why she has been hailed as our greatest living mystery writer.

Honored Contributor

I just started this one and so far I really like it.

Here is the description:

Spoiler

The Jackson women, Indiana and Amanda, have always had each other. Yet, while their bond is strong, mother and daughter are as different as night and day. Indiana, a beautiful holistic healer, is a free-spirited bohemian. Long divorced from Amanda’s father, she’s reluctant to settle down with either of the men who want her—Alan, the wealthy scion of one of San Francisco’s elite families, and Ryan, an enigmatic, scarred former Navy SEAL.

While her mom looks for the good in people, Amanda is fascinated by the dark side of human nature, like her father, the SFPD’s Deputy Chief of Homicide. Brilliant and introverted, the MIT-bound high school senior is a natural-born sleuth addicted to crime novels and Ripper, the online mystery game she plays with her beloved grandfather and friends around the world.

When a string of strange murders occurs across the city, Amanda plunges into her own investigation, discovering, before the police do, that the deaths may be connected. But the case becomes all too personal when Indiana suddenly vanishes. Could her mother’s disappearance be linked to the serial killer? Now, with her mother’s life on the line, the young detective must solve the most complex mystery she’s ever faced before it’s too late.

Esteemed Contributor

Today I finished Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova. I really enjoyed it until I got to the last page. Not to give anything away, but the ending was left up in the air. I hate when the author does that Woman Mad

So, I gave it two stars instead of the 4-5 that I would have given it. Very disappointing, especially from the author of Still Alice, which I think everyone loved.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I have to get the other book out of my head before I start a new one. Maybe Bettyville, maybe I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.

Happy reading everyone!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have another suggestion for your book group:

The Space Between Us  by Thrity Umrigar

It's in paperback, and I believe it had book group questions in the back of the book. It's the story of two women living in India. One is an upper middle class woman and the other is her housekeeper, who is very poor. They have a friendship of sorts, even though there's a huge division of class. An amazing ending, too!

I'm not at all familiar with these new boards, but I wanted to tell you about a deal, at last in my opinion, on Amazon.  It works if you are a fast reader.  For $9.99, you can read unlimited books on your Kindle. (I'm sure not all fall under that category.)  But, what I'm getting at is you have a 30 day free trial, which I think is a good deal. So, I'm just trying it out this month.  I'm currently reading books by Mark Edwards, who is one scary dude. Just an FYI.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I just started this one and so far I really like it.

Here is the description:

Spoiler

The Jackson women, Indiana and Amanda, have always had each other. Yet, while their bond is strong, mother and daughter are as different as night and day. Indiana, a beautiful holistic healer, is a free-spirited bohemian. Long divorced from Amanda’s father, she’s reluctant to settle down with either of the men who want her—Alan, the wealthy scion of one of San Francisco’s elite families, and Ryan, an enigmatic, scarred former Navy SEAL.

While her mom looks for the good in people, Amanda is fascinated by the dark side of human nature, like her father, the SFPD’s Deputy Chief of Homicide. Brilliant and introverted, the MIT-bound high school senior is a natural-born sleuth addicted to crime novels and Ripper, the online mystery game she plays with her beloved grandfather and friends around the world.

When a string of strange murders occurs across the city, Amanda plunges into her own investigation, discovering, before the police do, that the deaths may be connected. But the case becomes all too personal when Indiana suddenly vanishes. Could her mother’s disappearance be linked to the serial killer? Now, with her mother’s life on the line, the young detective must solve the most complex mystery she’s ever faced before it’s too late.

I absolutely loved her book Island Beneath The Sea..............

Esteemed Contributor

@RubyinNE wrote:

I have another suggestion for your book group:

The Space Between Us  by Thrity Umrigar

It's in paperback, and I believe it had book group questions in the back of the book. It's the story of two women living in India. One is an upper middle class woman and the other is her housekeeper, who is very poor. They have a friendship of sorts, even though there's a huge division of class. An amazing ending, too!

I'm not at all familiar with these new boards, but I wanted to tell you about a deal, at last in my opinion, on Amazon.  It works if you are a fast reader.  For $9.99, you can read unlimited books on your Kindle. (I'm sure not all fall under that category.)  But, what I'm getting at is you have a 30 day free trial, which I think is a good deal. So, I'm just trying it out this month.  I'm currently reading books by Mark Edwards, who is one scary dude. Just an FYI.

Hi RubyinNE, long time no see! I really enjoyed The Space Between Us, and yes, the ending was very good and not what I expected. Very easy reading and I learned a lot about the caste system. I've read several other books of hers, and I was never disappointed. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

I finished reading a great series of mystery thrillers that I highly recommend:  the Monkeewrench Mystery Series by P. J. Tracy.  There are six books in the series and each one is very good.  The first one is simply called Monkeewrench and I do recommend reading them in order.  The books are about a group of young adults who have a software company and two Minneapolis police detectives.  There is plenty of action, smart characters, clever humor, and some mature romance.  P. J. Tracy is really a mother-daughter writing team from Minnesota. 

Super Contributor

Tried reading BETTYVILLE but had to bookmark it. My mother has advanced Alzheimer's - I take care of her - and I think that is why I had trouble with this book - only got about 75 pages read - maybe later. I'm on to a book by SOPHIE HANNAH - anyone else read any of her books? Great writer - already have her latest book pre- ordered.