Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

@Sagal wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

Just finished THE KIND WORTH KILLING by Peter Swanson.  It was pretty good.  Told in the first person by three people, a bit reminiscent of Gone Girl in the manner of presentation.  LM

here is the storyline from Good Reads...

A devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder. This is a modern re-imagining of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train from the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart.

On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage and his wife Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. But their game turns dark when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.”

From there, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they plot Miranda's demise, but soon these co-conspirators are embroiled in a game of cat-and-mouse--one they both cannot survive--with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

Hi Lilysmom - This is too funny - I just got The Kind Worth Killing so was deciding if I wanted to read it next - you just thought is was pretty good?

I loved that book, I couldn't put it down......

Honored Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Am I allowed to mention a cookbook? I read them like novels. Does that help? I just got Marlene Koch's third book that the Q has sold as far as I know. I got it at Amazon, since the Q is selling 2 and I only need the one. Honestly there's some great recipes I want to try. They also have the points for WW if you too are doing that. Just my contribution this month. LOL.  EAT WHAT YOU LOVE EVERYDAY.

I love Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader. It's best if you're a Mitford fan Smiley Happy

Hi Judaline, I loved the Jan Karon Cookbook too.  I listened to her books on tape years ago - I'd kind of like to go back and read them for the first time.

Hi back! Especially the one where the dog shows up-I guess it was the first one-Barnabus was it? Or Barnaby? How soon I forgot.

Esteemed Contributor

I started listening to "Big Little Lies"  by Liane Moriarty on audiobook and can't believe how boring it is! It has 4.5 stars with over 9,500 reviews on Amazon and 4.2 with 125,000 ratings on Goodreads. 

I also read that HBO is making it into a series starring Reese Witherspoon and Nichole Kidman. 

Clearly I'm in the minority by not liking this book. Maybe I should try to keep going with it.

Has anyone else read this? What am I missing? 

Valued Contributor

I finished reading MOLOKAI by Alan Brennert which is one of the best books I have read in a very long time and one like others have said, I probably would not have picked out but there was so many good things being said about it, I tried it as well as my DH.  I would give it 5 thumbs up!!!

The next book I am going to read and recommended here is a book called Twisted by Andrew Kaufman and have it on order as our library does not carry it (probably too twisted Smiley Happy

Will let you know when I get it if it is a winner or a dud!!

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I started listening to "Big Little Lies"  by Liane Moriarty on audiobook and can't believe how boring it is! It has 4.5 stars with over 9,500 reviews on Amazon and 4.2 with 125,000 ratings on Goodreads. 

I also read that HBO is making it into a series starring Reese Witherspoon and Nichole Kidman. 

Clearly I'm in the minority by not liking this book. Maybe I should try to keep going with it.

Has anyone else read this? What am I missing? 

I know it was very popular here, but I didn't think it was anything special, either.  A lot of people liked it.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Just finished THE KIND WORTH KILLING by Peter Swanson.  It was pretty good.  Told in the first person by three people, a bit reminiscent of Gone Girl in the manner of presentation.  LM

Lilysmom, I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning this book.  Your post was the first I had heard about it and now everyone is reading it.  I just picked it up at the library today.

Esteemed Contributor

You're welcome SMOKY.  Happy reading!  😊

Esteemed Contributor

RINGER, I have MOLAKAI on my ereader so I am glad to see your post!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just started reading Elly Griffith's  The Crossing Places Ruth Galloway's   Mysteries Book 1.

I read on my Kindle and on loaned hard cover and e-books from my local library.  This one was a discounted Kindle book from Amazon last month, so I just bought Book 1 to try this British author out.  Okay, now I am hooked and want to read the rest of this mystery series.  I like the spunky female character, Ruth, who is an expert in archaeology, and I like the interesting location of East Anglia and North Norfolk, UK ( I worked near Norfolk for a few months decades ago). I read 50% of the book and can't wait to finish it!

I also just finished American author Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha.  This was published over 10 years ago, but I never got around to reading it. Since it was free to check out from my local library, I decided to try it.  I could not put it down!!  I really cared for the characters, and enjoyed the exquisite portrayal of 1930-40's Japanese culture.

Respected Contributor

Tee4u, the Ruth Galloway books are probably my favorite series.  I love the main character and I love the way Elly Griffiths writes.  Hope you continue to enjoy them.