Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

@lovescats wrote:

Two audio books with great narrators

Seveneves by  Neal Stephenson 

Finders Keepers by Stephen King 

Seveneves: A Novel

Finders Keepers: A Novel

Does Stephen King narrate Finders Keepers? I don't care for audio books because if I lose my concentration for a few seconds, I'm lost. But, I'd make an exception for a book narrated by Stephen King. However, I read this book already and loved it!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

Two audio books with great narrators

Seveneves by  Neal Stephenson 

Finders Keepers by Stephen King 

Seveneves: A Novel

I'm next in line for Seveneves on my Kindle.  Is it a good book?

I've never been able to get into audio books.  I absolutely cannot concentrate when I have a book read to me (must be something wrong with me)).  I do better when I can see the printed word.

Yes but it is long. It's a good book if you like science fiction.  The author does explain a lot of how everything works.   I've just now reached where I understand where the title comes from.   It's 31 hours and 24 cds.  I'm on # 17.

Respected Contributor

Sunny Will Patton narrates Finders Keepers.  And to me he makes it sound like listening to a movie.   I watched him in Falling Skies on TNT.

Honored Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

I read Iron Lace by Emily Richards. I know it's an older one but I missed it somewhere along the line. I see it has a sequel so I will probably read that too.

OMgosh, I read that so long ago-someone here said it was the best book she ever read so I had to have it. It was out of print and I had a hard time finding a copy. It was good-nothing special, but I remember a big surprise toward the end.  She went on to write so many books-I liked Let There Be Suspects-her mystery series. Heroine and her friend and neighbor (Lucy and Ethel types) solve mysteries. The next one was too slow for me so I quit reading them-dunno if she gave up on the mysteries or not.

Respected Contributor

Lilysmom, weeds have taken over my summer and cut into my reading time, too!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished THE KIND WORTH KILLING by Peter Swanson.  It was pretty good.  Told in the first person by three people, a bit reminiscent of Gone Girl in the manner of presentation.  LM

here is the storyline from Good Reads...

A devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder. This is a modern re-imagining of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train from the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart.

On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage and his wife Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. But their game turns dark when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.”

From there, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they plot Miranda's demise, but soon these co-conspirators are embroiled in a game of cat-and-mouse--one they both cannot survive--with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

Esteemed Contributor

SKYBLUE, it's been raining for four days.  We badly needed it but I know the weeds have grown a foot since last week lol.  I refuse to be daunted after the winter we put in!  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Just finished THE KIND WORTH KILLING by Peter Swanson.  It was pretty good.  Told in the first person by three people, a bit reminiscent of Gone Girl in the manner of presentation.  LM

here is the storyline from Good Reads...

A devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder. This is a modern re-imagining of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train from the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart.

On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage and his wife Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. But their game turns dark when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.”

From there, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they plot Miranda's demise, but soon these co-conspirators are embroiled in a game of cat-and-mouse--one they both cannot survive--with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

This sounds like it's right up my alley.  Too bad it's not available for my kindle, but my library does have it (and in large print, too).  thanks for the review!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought The Kind Worth Killing for my kindle on Amazon for $1.99.  Re-check it.  Maybe it wasn't available when you first looked. Agree that it sounds like my kind of reading. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

SKYBLUE, it's been raining for four days.  We badly needed it but I know the weeds have grown a foot since last week lol.  I refuse to be daunted after the winter we put in!  LM

I need to to wear full armour to protect myself from the mosquitoes that bomb me every time I go out the door! The rain has produced a bumper crop of the pesky insects as well as weeds!Smiley Frustrated