Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

@lainey1 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Has anyone read this?

The Good Girl.png

SydneyH, I haven't read it but it has good reviews on Amazon - 4 out of 5 stars with over 1,100 reviews.

No but I'm adding since today (sunday) it's a daily deal on amazon.

Super Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@lainey1 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Has anyone read this?

The Good Girl.png

SydneyH, I haven't read it but it has good reviews on Amazon - 4 out of 5 stars with over 1,100 reviews.

No but I'm adding since today (sunday) it's a daily deal on amazon.

I read this when it first came out.  I think I gave it 4 stars on GOODREADS.  At the price they are offering it's definitely worth it!

Super Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Judaline wrote:
 about WWII and the London Blitz - two sisters going through it - it was soooooo good! 

Sorry I just cut off the title but I will look for it and wanted to add if you liked that, you may like Once We Were Brothers.

Judaline, Once We Were Brothers made me sob out loud!!

Sometimes WW2 books do that, especially when they're about the Holocaust. I really do try not to read too many of them, or at least try not to read one after the other, but sometimes I can't help it. Holocaust books don't often have a happy ending. 

Oh, sorry. I loved that book and I know what happened and I just keep a stiff upper lip when I read things like that. We need to know about it. I don't remember this book being that bad. I remember it going from past to present, and liking the characters. 

Hi Judaline - Ill definitely check out ONCE WE WERE BROTHERS.  Another WWll book is THE PLUM TREE about lovers separated at the beginning of the war and reunited in a concentration camp.  Heavy but good story.

Super Contributor

@skyblue wrote:
I finished 800 GRAPES by Laura Dave. I would classify it as a good beach read.

I am currently reading SECRETS OF A CHARMED LIFE by Susan Meissner. I picked up the suggestion here on this forum before the change over, so I apologize that I don't know who to thank for recommending this engaging novel. I'm at 70% on my Kindle and haven't lost interest.

Hi skyblue, I recommended SECRETS OF A CHARMED LIFE.  Another great book by her is A FALL OF MARIGOLDS - another EXCELLENT book!

Super Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

Just finished My Family and Other Hazards (nf) by June Melby.  Great book about a family who owns a mini golf course and their lives.

Onto Some Luck by Jane Smiley.  This is my first book by her. 

SWEET, I just removed Some Luck from my Kindle queue because I found another book I wanted to read before it. Did you know it's the first book of a trilogy? It sounds great and I do intend to read it. Let us know how you like it. 

Sunny,  I did know this was a trilogy.  I have the other 2 on my list also.  If I don't like this one, might take the other 2 off.  LOL  I'll let you know.  It's l.p. and huge but hopefully it'll go fast.  I've been reading so many family books lately it seems.

Hi Sweet,  I read this book when it first came out - it sounded like the perfect book fo rme - about a farm family and thier struggles - a real family saga.  I could not have been more disappointed.  IT WAS BOOOOORING.  Alkin to watching paint dry.  Presented in the book were all the characters but they never did one interesting thing.  It got mixed reviews on GOODREADS so its obviously different strokes for different folks.  I'll be interested to see what you think!

Super Contributor

I belong to a book club that focuses on Minnesota authors.  The August selection is GRAND OPENING By John Hassler.

Regular Contributor

I am reading Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee, but I am savoring it and really really taking my time.  I am usually a very quick reader, but this one is taking a while on purpose.  I am also reading The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb and The Target by David Baldacci.  I am just starting all of these books, so I can read more than one book at a time.  Once I get into a book, however, I commit to one title!  My family thinks my method is nuts! 

Trusted Contributor

I just finished Bitter Sweets by G.A.McKevitt. This is part of her Savannah Reid mystery series. This was the first book I've read in this series. I liked it! The main characters were an interesting mix. Overall, it was a nice light cozy mystery. I'll read more of the series.

Respected Contributor

I loved Some Luck--but, of course, I've been a Jane Smiley fan forever. I bought the second book of the trilogy, but haven't started it  yet.

Honored Contributor

I just finished this one (didn't realize it was one of the freebies that I got on Kindle) but it's a good mystery.  It's still free for those who are interested.

Here is the description:

Spoiler
Jeff Resnick hardly knew his well-heeled half-brother. But after suffering a fractured skull in a vicious mugging, he reluctantly accepts the fact that he has a long and brutal recovery to face—and his closest of kin can provide him with the time and place to do it.

Now, Jeff is haunted by unexplained visions of a heinous crime—a banker, stalked, killed, and eviscerated like a ten-point buck. When Matt Sumner’s murder is discovered, a still-recovering Jeff realizes this was what he had seen. Jeff must not only convince himself of his new-found psychic ability, but also his skeptical brother Richard Alpert. Since Sumner was Richard’s banker, both brothers have a stake in finding out what happened. With Richard’s reluctant help, Jeff’s investigation leads him to Sumner’s belligerent family and hard-nosed business associates, none of whom want him snooping around.

When Jeff discovers a second victim, he knows he must relentlessly chase his quarry even if it means risking his brother’s life.