Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

@Sagal wrote:

I just finished TELL THE WOLVES Ï'M HOME - oh my goodness - what an emotional book for me - I cried my way through the last six chapters - it was so sweet - I cried for what I read but have never been lucky enough to experience.  I don't want to give anything away but if you haven't read it I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.  Gave it 5 stars at GOODREADS and just ordered a hardback copy for me - wanted to have the REAL BOOK in my hands.

hi Sagal, I agree! I absolutely LOVED Tell the Wolves I'm Home. I don't remember if I heard about it here, or elsewhere. If any of you recommended it to me, THANK YOU! It was written so beautifully, and although it was sad and I cried, it was also such a lovely story of family relationships. It broke my heart!

I've read some really good books lately. I'm now reading The Stranger by Harlan Coben. It's so good, as most of his books are.  Before that, I read Stolen, by Daniel Palmer. It was a real page turner and I read it quickly.

I also read Our Souls at Night, by Kent Haruf, which sadly was his last book, as he died during the editing process. From what I read, his wife finished the editing for him. I thought it was a beautiful love story and a perfect end to his Holt, Colorado books. If you haven't read Eventide and Plainsong, RUN, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore or library. I learned about this author right here on the book board, and his books were among the very best I've ever read. He wrote a few more books that were excellent as well but I can't remember the titles.  If any of you want to read those two I mentioned, please make sure you read them in order, as one follows the other.

And now I'm so sad because there will be no more of his books to look forward to. 

I believe we all have it in us to beat the odds and achieve the impossible."
~~~Joan Rivers―

Respected Contributor

Our Souls At Night just became available to me but I've never read his other books.  Will this one make sense to me if I haven't read the others?

Respected Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

Our Souls At Night just became available to me but I've never read his other books.  Will this one make sense to me if I haven't read the others?

No you don't have to read any of his other books to read this one.  I didn't care for this last book as much as other people have so if you don't like it don't judge his other books by it.  It is so short you won't waste any time reading it.  

Esteemed Contributor

SAGAL, SUNNY, I loved Tell the Wolves I'm Home also. One of my favorite reads of the year!

A reminder that Luoise Penny's new book comes out in August. LM
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, lovescats. I appreciate the response on Our Souls At Night .

The Ghost Fields (Elly Griffiths) also just became available to me so I will probably read this first since I've been waiting for it quite a while and I love this series.

Super Contributor

Re: Lethal- Sandra Brown

@lolakimono wrote:

I just finished this-

Cover of Lethal

I thought that it was a bit predictable (and long) in parts but overall not bad for "summer" reading.

Here is the description:

Spoiler

When her four year old daughter informs her a sick man is in their yard, Honor Gillette rushes out to help him. But that "sick" man turns out to be Lee Coburn, the man accused of murdering seven people the night before. Dangerous, desperate, and armed, he promises Honor that she and her daughter won't be hurt as long as she does everything he asks. She has no choice but to accept him at his word.

But Honor soon discovers that even those close to her can't be trusted. Coburn claims that her beloved late husband possessed something extremely valuable that places Honor and her daughter in grave danger. Coburn is there to retrieve it -- at any cost. From FBI offices in Washington, D.C., to a rundown shrimp boat in coastal Louisiana, Coburn and Honor run for their lives from the very people sworn to protect them, and unravel a web of corruption and depravity that threatens not only them, but the fabric of our society.

I agree with you - I think her books are OK but I never feel like WOW after reading one.  I read several but there are too many others that are so much better.

Super Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:
SAGAL, SUNNY, I loved Tell the Wolves I'm Home also. One of my favorite reads of the year!

A reminder that Luoise Penny's new book comes out in August. LM

Hi Lilysmom, I'm so glad you loved Tell the Wolves too!  Its always fun when someone else loves one of your favorites!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Sagal wrote:

I just finished TELL THE WOLVES Ï'M HOME - oh my goodness - what an emotional book for me - I cried my way through the last six chapters - it was so sweet - I cried for what I read but have never been lucky enough to experience.  I don't want to give anything away but if you haven't read it I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.  Gave it 5 stars at GOODREADS and just ordered a hardback copy for me - wanted to have the REAL BOOK in my hands.

hi Sagal, I agree! I absolutely LOVED Tell the Wolves I'm Home. I don't remember if I heard about it here, or elsewhere. If any of you recommended it to me, THANK YOU! It was written so beautifully, and although it was sad and I cried, it was also such a lovely story of family relationships. It broke my heart!

I've read some really good books lately. I'm now reading The Stranger by Harlan Coben. It's so good, as most of his books are.  Before that, I read Stolen, by Daniel Palmer. It was a real page turner and I read it quickly.

I also read Our Souls at Night, by Kent Haruf, which sadly was his last book, as he died during the editing process. From what I read, his wife finished the editing for him. I thought it was a beautiful love story and a perfect end to his Holt, Colorado books. If you haven't read Eventide and Plainsong, RUN, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore or library. I learned about this author right here on the book board, and his books were among the very best I've ever read. He wrote a few more books that were excellent as well but I can't remember the titles.  If any of you want to read those two I mentioned, please make sure you read them in order, as one follows the other.

And now I'm so sad because there will be no more of his books to look forward to. 

Hi Sunny,

I'm so excited you loved Tell the Wolves too!  I cried the "ügly cry" - it really affected me.  She was so lucky in her young life to have the love of two such wonderful people.  I recommend another book to you and Lilysmom since we seem to like alot of the same books - SECRETS OF A CHARMED LIFE - fabulous book about WWII and the London Blitz - two sisters going through it - it was soooooo good!

Respected Contributor

Product DetailsRoz Chast

Can We Talk About Something More Pleasant

by Roz Chast 

I never heard of this author but I will look at library for more books by her. 

Spoiler
2014 NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FINALIST

In her first memoir, Roz Chast brings her signature wit to the topic of aging parents. Spanning the last several years of their lives and told through four-color cartoons, family photos, and documents, and a narrative as rife with laughs as it is with tears, Chast's memoir is both comfort and comic relief for anyone experiencing the life-altering loss of elderly parents.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Sagal wrote:

Hi Sunny,

I'm so excited you loved Tell the Wolves too!  I cried the "ügly cry" - it really affected me.  She was so lucky in her young life to have the love of two such wonderful people.  I recommend another book to you and Lilysmom since we seem to like alot of the same books - SECRETS OF A CHARMED LIFE - fabulous book about WWII and the London Blitz - two sisters going through it - it was soooooo good!

hi Sagal, I just found Secrets of a Charmed Life in my e-Library, so I put it on my list. It sounds great, thanks!

Last night I finished The Stranger by Harlan Coben. It was pretty good. I don't know what I'm going to read next. It's always fun to choose!

I believe we all have it in us to beat the odds and achieve the impossible."
~~~Joan Rivers―